Chapter 2: Inflicting Session

Sophie couldn't help but think about this "special guy" as she ascended the stairs to her next session. Keefe couldn't have meant himself... Could he? Sophie pushed the thought away. Keefe was always teasing her. This time was no different. Besides, she had other problems to worry about.

She barely made it to Bronte's room before the bells chimes the beginning of class. Sophie hastily curtsied before taking a seat before Bronte. He nodded in approval before resting his eyes on her circlet. He had an complex look in his eyes. A mix of frustration and sympathy, Sophie thought.

"It's downright barbaric to make you wear such a thing," he said with disdain. "The Council's lost all common sense, as I've been saying for ages. If only they listened..."

Sophie knew Bronte was against the circlet, but she didn't think he was this adamant about it. Especially since he had fought against Sophie about everything prior to the night she was given the circlet. Before she could even open her mouth, Bronte spoke again.

"The council may have attempted to take away your abilities, but I don't think such a thing is possible, circlet or no circlet. Of course, that means we'll have to keep all progress a secret. I'll only be reporting what the Council wants to hear. Understood?"

Sophie nodded.

"Good," said Bronte, clearly satisfied. "For today I want you to inflict peace."

"Have you been stressed?" Sophie asked.

"Yes, I have. Everyone had been since the Neverseen and Black Swan came into existence." Sophie flinched. The Black Swan were only trying to help, whether Bronte believed it or not. "But I don't want you to inflict on me today," he continued.

"So..." Sophie looked around the room, confused. "Who do I inflict on then?"

"Do you see anyone else in the room?" There was an awkward pause, before Bronte rolled his eyes. "I want you to inflict on yourself."

"That's possible?" Sophie asked, shocked. It never occurred to her that she could do such a thing.

"We'll see. I've never tried it before, but if it were claimed impossible I'm sure you would still pull it off." Sophie gave him a blank stare. "Well go on," Bronte said impatiently.

Sophie nodded, taking deep breaths. "Is it okay if I sit on the floor?" She remembered humans meditating cross-legged in the Forbidden Cities.

"Whatever you see fit."

Sophie nodded again, and took her seat on the floor. First, she focused on her breath. In, out. Longer. In, out. She heard Bronte grunt. Ignore him, she thought, resuming to focusing on her breathing. In, out. In, out. In, out.

Now to focus on peace. She thought of the small moments of bliss when she had Silveny all to herself. She remembered the memories the Alicorn had shared with her to lull her to sleep. She recalled the nostalgic time in the Forbidden Cities, home with her family, safe and sound. An image of water dripping into a pond, creating small ripples entered her mind. She imagined the peace washing over her as a way to inflict on herself.

It worked. That is, until the headache crashed in her head.

Sophie collapsed, clutching the sides of her head. "Cir...clet," she managed to say, trembling in pain.

Bronte rushed to her side, handing her a pass to Elwin's office. "I thought such a thing might happen. Spend the rest of the session there. I'll see you next week."

She nodded, stumbling to the door before she heard Bronte say, almost hesitantly, "Sophie, I hope you can find peace in the midst of all this chaos. You're the one who needs it the most."

"Thanks," she mumbled. At least I'll be able to rest, she thought as she slowly made her way to the front doors. She leaned onto Sandor as he led her to Elwin's office.

"Thanks," she said before she collapsed on one of the beds.

"So what's got you here this time?" Elwin asked. "You're supposed to be in Inflicting."

"Headache." Sophie replied.

Elwin nodded. He also fought against the circlet. "I hoped that thing wouldn't give you too much trouble. Let me give you a quick scan." Green orbs flashed, circling Sophie's body. "Your cells are moving slower than usual, but no real damage. I would just sleep it off."

"Thanks Elwin," she mumbled, half asleep.

"I'm sure you'll have much more to worry about, with the ball coming up and all," Elwin commented, but Sophie was already fast asleep.

***Author's Note***

Yay! What did you think?

I know this chapter seemed a little unnecessary, but I'll focus more on the dance next chapter!

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment please!

~InkheadWriter