Chapter 3: Learning to Dance

Sophie's head pounded as the light swept her away to Havenfield. Her headache wasn't as bad as it was before at least. She still had Sandor to catch her if she fainted or to lean on.

Edaline and Grady were waiting for her by the Leapmaster the second she arrived home. Grady and Edaline rarely welcomed her home from school.

Sophie took a step back. "Shouldn't you be out working?"

"We already took care of everything while you were gone," Edaline explained, brushing a strand of hair out of Sophie's face.

"We even gave Verdi a bath," Grady added with a laugh.

"Wow," Sophie said. "You guys didn't have to."

"We know," Edaline said softly. "We just wanted to be here for you when you got home. We weren't sure how your first day would go with..." Her voice trailed off as her eyes locked on the circlet resting on Sophie's forehead. Sophie squeezed Edaline's hand reassuringly.

"So how did it go?" Grady asked.

"Ok. The circlet have me a bad headache, so I just rested at Elwin's."

"Oh!" Edaline said, reminded of something. A small bottle conjured into her hand. "Dex and Kesler wanted me to give this to you."-she placed it in Sophie's hand- "It's a serum that should help soothe your headaches from the circlet." The last word came out as a whisper.

Sophie winced at the mention of Dex. She wasn't ready to deal with him yet.
Luckily Grady changed the subject.

"Edaline made custard bursts for you. Chocolate Cherry. Your favorite."
Sophie's eyes widened. Custard bursts were one of her favorite Elvin treats, but one of the most emotionally painful for Edaline to make.

"Thank you," Sophie said with a little bit of reverence in her voice, appreciating Edaline's sacrifice on her behalf before she stuffed one in her mouth.

"Mmm. So good," she said with her mouth full, making Grady and Edaline both laugh.

"Oh! That reminds me!" Grady said, patting down his pockets. "A scroll from Foxfire arrived today."

Sophie's mind raced. Did the Council decide to expel her anyway? Were they cutting her talent classes anyway?

"I did?" She finally asked.
Grady nodded, handing her the scroll.
Sophie warily broke the seal only to discover that it was written in the fancy runes her mind couldn't decipher. She handed it back to Grady for translation.

Grady nodded, and read, "Foxfire is hosting a Formal Elvin Ball to commemorate Magnate Leto's promotion to the head of this prestigious academy. All students of the lower levels are invited to attend. It will be held the week after midterms, on Saturday evening. As aforementioned, the dance is Formal, so come in formal attire. We look forward to this event."

Sophie let out a sigh of relief.

"A ball?" Edaline asked, her voice a mix of shock and excitement.

"Yeah, they announced it this morning too," Sophie said, devouring another custard burst.

"That'll be fun," Grady said. "What do you think, Sophie?"

She shrugged. "I'm not planning on going."

"Why not?"

"The Sencen boy seems to think he can get her to come," Sandor interjected.

"Is that so?" Grady said a little louder. "I'd rather you went with a young man more mature-" he was cut short when Edaline placed her hand on his shoulder.

He sighed. "Just don't dance with him the whole night."

Sophie shook her head. "I already said I probably won't be going anyway. And besides, Keefe said a 'special guy' would convince me to come."

"Referring to himself," Grady said, as if that explained everything.

"Referring to anyone, for the sake of teasing," Sophie said defensively.

Grady shrugged, defeated. "Special guy or not, why don't you want to go?"
Sophie blushed. "I don't really know how to dance. I've only danced once, and that was for detention." Sophie hadn't even danced back in the Forbidden Cities during her human life. She never went to Homecoming or Prom at High School, since being a 12-year-old Senior in the classroom was bad enough. Plus, she wanted to remain in gray sweaters in the comfort of home instead of sparkly dresses in the center of attention.

"Well, I'll teach you," Grady said as he rose from his seat.

Sophie followed him to the living room where Sophie awkwardly placed her hands in the positions that Grady told her. He led her through step by step, directing her where to place her feet according to his. Soon he was teaching her several Elvin dances, including the one from detention. After a couple hours, both father and daughter were worn out.

"We'll call it a night," Grady said, wiping his brow.

Sophie nodded, and began climbing the stairs up to her room.

"And Sophie?" Grady called. She halted. "I want you to have fun. I know there's so many complicated conspiracies and consequences wrapped around in your life, but for at least one night you deserve to be an Elvin teenager." He smiled. "Even if it means dancing with Keefe Sencen. Just enjoy yourself."

Sophie smiled. She would be going to the ball.

***Authors Note***
Thanks again for reading! Seriously, you guys are awesome!
I apologize for any typos in this chapter, I had to type it up on my phone rather than the computer.
More drama next chapter!
~InkheadWriter