Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

I felt a tear roll down my cheek, but quickly wiped it away and reached out to grab a bottle of baby wash. By the time I've reached the checkout, I feel blinded. My bags are placed in the cart and I go back towards the pharmacy. The medicine is placed in my purse and I push the cart towards the front doors. I can feel myself spinning, and the sides of my vision going black.

Next thing I know, I'm in the back of an ambulance, with paramedics around me, and a woman outside holding Graham in his carrier.

"You had a seizure ma'am." The male paramedic says. "The woman out there saw you falling and caught you before you hit your head."

"Thank god." I sigh, wiping the sweat from my forehead. "Is my baby okay?"

"He's fine." The paramedic says again. "We called the doctor that's on the medical card in your wallet, and he says if you can answer the three safe questions and stand up smoothly, you don't need to go to the hospital."

The safe questions were set up with Mitchell, my doctor, for after I had a seizure. If I hit my head and couldn't answer, then there was swelling in my brain again. The three questions were: what state do I live in? What state was I born in? And what's my mother's name? 

I look at the paramedic and say, "Florida, Texas and Kelly."

Without hesitation, I stand up slowly and climb out of the ambulance.

He laughs. "Your doctor said you would do that. You're free to go, just take it easy."

I thank the woman outside of the ambulance, take Graham, and the bags that have been paid for and head to my car. Before the car is even started, my phone rings and its Austin.

"Hey babe." I answer.

"Don't 'hey babe' me." He says. "What the hell happened?"

"I'm fine, Austin." I say. "I had a seizure, but I didn't hit my head."

"This time!" He yells at me. "You're being so irresponsible. What if you had hit your head? What if you were holding Graham?"

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "It happens, Austin. We both know this!"

"What about your medicine?"

"I'm out." I tell him.  "I was waiting on the prescription to be filled! I didn't know I was going to have a seizure today!"

"Of course you didn't." He scoffs. "It's not like you can't feel them coming or anything."

"You're not seriously blaming me for this seizure, are you?"

Austin sighs and I can hear the door slam through the phone. "I'm just saying, you need to be more careful."

"Don't you think I'm being careful?"

"You were out, without meds, or anyone  there to take care of you." He says.

"I'm a grown woman, Austin." I spit out. "I can take care of my self."

"I know you can." He says. "It's just-"

"No." I interrupt him. "Obviously you don't. Why don't you call someone to come be my nanny, since I can't take care of myself. Or, why don't you call social services and have someone take Graham from me, since I'm not doing a good enough job taking care of him."

"Dammit, Calli!" He yells, and something crashes in the background. "Quit being a fucking child and listen to me."

"I'm not being a child. I'm just sick of you telling me I'm not being responsible or taking proper care of myself."