Chapter 8 ~ You Don't Miss Me Enough

Monday rolled around and the collection took place.

Mama Maria spit out 3 eggs and they were very hopeful. The team of experts have examined them and deemed them worthy and would immediately combine them with Aaron's donation.

We went out that evening for a celebratory dinner.

I officially wasn't able or allowed to drink, have sex or over strain myself. Whatever that last part meant. There was a slew of other rules but none that I couldn't handle.

If everything went well I would be implanted on Wednesday. Then the long wait begins. They would draw blood weekly to check my HCG levels and if they increased over time it was a good sign.

"Cheers!" Maria holds up her glass of water next to mine. Aaron joins us and we all salute. Maria swears if I can't drink, neither shall she. It's funny but sweet.

"We got you a little something to say thank you. We can't say it enough and we hope you know how much this means to us." Aaron says as he slides a velvet box toward me. I put my hand to my chest and exclaim,

"Aaron! I don't know about Greece but I'm pretty sure you can't proposed if you are already married!" I'm making light of the situation but I'm actually very surprised by their gift. It's a platinum gold ladies watch with a million tiny diamonds around the face.

"You didn't have to. Really. I'm happy to help out."

"You are more than helping out. You are helping us with our dream and making it a reality. I don't think we could do this with anyone else. We owe you a debt that cannot be repaid." 

"I agree with Aaron. You are my best friend and now I feel like you are truly a sister."

"Stop, you will make me cry." I am near tears.

"Welcome to my world." Maria says and we all dissolve into laughter.

"You just wait until I'm fat and cranky and demanding ice cream in the middle of the night." I tease.

"Aaron will rub your feet and fetch you anything you want." Maria promises for him.

"Hey, wait a minute. Why just me?"

"Because if it were me pregnant it would be your duty. Ha! I will provide emotional support. Unless you would rather trade? You can hug her when she cries and thinks she's fat or can't see her toes."

"Right! Ice cream at midnight it is!" He eagerly accepts.

~Go Time, Knock Me Up, Doc~

Wednesday came and it was go time.

They weren't kidding when they said it would hurt.

There is nothing they can give you for the pain and it had me straining and curled up in a ball afterwards crying like a baby. Maria was up on the table crying with me.

Aaron was white as a sheet out in the hallway when he heard my moans of pain. They had a nurse nearby in case he fainted.

I went home and slept all day with Maria checking on my hourly. She even curled up with me for a few hours and we held each other.

The next day I was much better but still tired. That morning as I stared at myself in the bathroom mirror, I realized I could very well be pregnant right now. I look the same as the day before.

Not how I imagined it but it was a surreal realization all the same. I rubbed my still flat belly and mentally prayed at least one of them stuck with me. Now that I've gone through that, I would be ok if two hung around. But that was my limit! I wasn't sure if I could come back as a model after delivering a litter and not have some scars.

Aaron went back to Greece and Maria stayed with me so she could go with me to the weekly appointments. He really wanted to stay but he also had to get back to the family business.

The first week didn't produce any results and it was hard on Maria. They had warned us about that and said it didn't mean anything but she was still hoping for a high result. High result meaning that it was likely all three took place. I didn't say it but I was slightly relieved.

The next week did show a slight increase and Maria's spirits picked up. She couldn't wait to go and call Aaron. He was excited too.

We decided after week four, if all seemed well, Maria would go back to Greece until the next appointment.

Guess what? She was able to go back to Greece. The HCG levels were steadily rising and now we just get to wait. We had to wait until week 8 to listen to the heartbeat and it took forever to get there.

I still wasn't showing and that was ok. Maria and Aaron still talked to my belly every night over the telephone.

Week 8 came along and both parents were there with me when we got to hear the heartbeat.

The technician settled a microphone looking device on my stomach and we were able to hear two heartbeats. All three of us were crying with joy. Aaron pulled out his phone and recorded the sound. We all held hands the entire way back to my place and each had a dazed, happy smile on our faces.

Baby names have started flying back and forth again over the dinner table. I'm smiling and just listening. I'm so happy and slightly proud of myself for giving this to them. They will make great parents.

Aaron is leaving in the morning but Maria is staying back to help me. I am getting things in order to move back to Greece. I have a friend that wants to stay in my condo while I am gone and there is a lot of packing to do. I'm actually very excited to be going back.

A week later Maria goes back to Greece and this morning was the first morning I got to experience morning sickness. I'm glad it happened after Maria left or she would worry herself, I'm sure. It was mid morning before I could actually get up without getting sick and I was already super tired from it. I have right about 3 weeks to go before the big move.

We've hired a small crew to load and ship my belongings to Greece and the rest will be taken to a donation center. Aaron and Maria are on a house hunt and I told them I didn't really care what they picked, I trusted them.

Since they lived at the family estate, they never got to house hunt before now and they were having a good time doing it.

My cellphone rings and I see a weird number show up. Curious I answer it.

"Hello?"

"Willow. Uh hi."

"Umm hello, Zak. This is a surprise. How are you?" Why is he calling? What does he know?

"Yeah. It's a surprise to me too. I, uh...I've just been thinking about you and uh...I don't know, I just wanted to hear your voice and see how you are. I hope you don't mind me calling."

"No, it's fine. I'm doing well. Thank you for asking. How are you?" I repeat the question.

"Honestly, I miss you. I just wish things were different and...ya know... we could have continued and..."

"Yeah... It could have been good." I did miss him too but what is the point in telling him that?

"Do you think you will be returning to Greece anytime soon?" If I told him yes, what would happen? I don't even want to think about it.

He obviously doesn't know about our situation with the babies and that was up to Aaron and Maria to tell him. Hopefully it will be before they suddenly show up with two new members of the family.

"No, I don't think so. Not exactly a good idea, right? Nothing definite anyways."

"I'm not sure why I asked, really. I've just had you on my mind and it slipped out. Guess I missed you more than I thought."

"That's sweet, Zak, but what does it matter? We have to move on. Nothing has changed on your end so let's just try and not prolong this anymore than necessary, ok?" I say softly.

"Yeah. You're right. I'm sorry. I wish you the best and all that. Thank you for talking to me." I respond similarly and we end the call. He was on my mind for the next several days.