Chapter 3

"Text him Kellin, seriously." Lynn tells me at lunch today. She's sitting across from me on the grass, shovelling pasta into her mouth. I'm holding my phone in my hands, just staring at it like it's going to catch on fire.

"I don't know." I say.

Lynn rolls her eyes, "Don't leave him hanging. I know for a fact that it's a shitty feeling when somebody doesn't text or call you after you give them your number."

I sigh, picking at my sandwich now instead of staring at my phone. "Yeah I know Lynn, but he's hot and I'm not and he's probably busy. Plus, you know how texting someone first makes me feel. It's just weird."

"Well get over it, because he doesn't have your number does he? No. And who ever said you're not hot? You're sexy dude, just accept that." Lynn puts more pasta in her mouth and I blush, smiling.

"Thanks Lynn."

"No problem. Someone has to tell you you look good every now and again." Lynn says with a mouthful of pasta and I decide to start eating my sandwich. It's fairly sunny today and the school day has been going by slowly so far. I ran to Velasquez' room this morning to practically beg him to let me do the exam after school. He said I could, but I knew he would. Teachers like me and they always seem to let me off the hook.

"No but I mean it, text him like right now." Lynn orders and I take a bite of my sandwich, shaking my head.

"I have to study for my exam." I say after I swallowed that bite.

"Right. We both know you're not going to touch that text book," Lynn says, "So text him now while you're free before I shove that sandwich up your ass."

I put my sandwich down and pick up my phone, "Jesus, okay, I'll text him."

"Good." Lynn gives me a victorious smile and I roll my eyes, going into my contacts, finding Vic's name. I hate texting people first. It makes me so uncomfortable. Like what if they're busy and they don't answer, or what if they don't want to talk to you or what if they think you're annoying? It makes me nervous. But Lynn is right, I don't really have a choice in the matter; I'm the one who has his number, but he doesn't have mine.

With a sigh, I click the 'send message' button and write him a text. It's nothing fancy just a, "Hi yeah it's Kellin, the guy with the weird af name." I'm so uncreative, but I don't know what to say. I just met this guy, there's not much to say but that.

Two minutes later, I receive a reply:

Vic: Heyyyyy. I didn't think you'd actually text me

"Did he answer?" Lynn asks and I roll my eyes.

"Duh, my phone buzzed."

"Well I'm sorry I didn't hear the buzzing." Lynn goes back to eating her pasta and I text Vic back.

Me: Sorry, I've just had school and yeah

Vic: Damn. Tbh, I kind of want to go to public school, but I finished all my schooling last year through online school so I could have time for my career

Me: Wait, how old are you?

Vic: 18

Me: Ohhh okay

Vic: Why?

Me: Just asking, it makes sense

Vic: You?

Me: 17

Vic: Not gonna lie, I thought you were like 16 or something. You look pretty young. But not at the same time