Chapter [29]

[Charlotte Kendall]

I tucked my knees up into my chest and listened to nothing but the low sound of the waves bellow my body. I found the far off cliffs and they were a lot closer to the fields than anyone had thought. I was up higher, along the side of the mountain and tucked into the crevice of the earth. Benson had mentioned that the fields were the best view of the entire island and of course he was wrong because he hasn't made it to the stop where I am now. Looking down it was a short drop to the grass side but if I were to walk farther along the rock side I would easily fall off into the ocean farther below.

My eyes never left the spot where everyone had Michael tied up. I could literally see everything from up here and it didn't scare me. The massive size of this deserted island is what scared me, not the heights or any of that. But for a place this big, it was unfathomable to believe that we were the only ones here. But now we have found Michael.

Michael was tied up against a tree after everyone returned from the jungle. I was up here all along and just watched hopelessly.

I saw him move his head sheepishly every so often but he never looked up from his lap. Benson stood guard like he was some kind of prisoner. It was all a mess in my mind, everything could have turned out differently if it was just me, Emma and Tyson. Now everyone was involved which won't get us anywhere if we don't all gain Michael's trust.

"Hey!"

I flinched at a sudden outburst and skidded down the slope slightly. When I caught myself I quickly noticed Ashton standing there below my feet and looking up with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!" He shouted with concern. There was no need to yell really I wasn't even that high up. I shook it off and scooted backwards, grabbing the rocks behind me for support. "How'd you get up there anyways?"

"I climbed." As if it wasn't obvious.

Ashton flicked his head to the side, beckoning me to come down, "Can we talk?"

"I want to be alone Ashton." I say, holding my head up while still looking off towards the smoky camp fire. I wasn't in the mood for pep talks.

"And I gave you four hours babe. I need to talk to you." I looked at him once he called me babe and raised an eyebrow up at him. I loved the way that word came out of his mouth but hated the feeling it gave me. His hand stuck out in front of him, "Please."

I rolled my eyes, no longer feeling so sorry for myself as I scooted off the side of the cliff. I had put my pink t-shirt back on since it had cooled down this afternoon and the ocean breeze beside me was cold. There was dust and dirt sticking to my thighs but I didn't care until I reached the bottom where Ashton held his hand out for me still. I took his palm into mine and jumped down beside him. When I stumbled only a little he reacted quickly to catch me at my sides.

"Still think you trust him more than me?" He smirked once nodding his head over into the other's direction.

"I am not talking to you about this." I say, not amused.

"Okay, alright I'm sorry." He couldn't help but chuckle under his breath. Ashton's hands were still planted at my sides. He didn't move until I slipped away from him to sit down over in the thicker grass.

It was taller grass than were we set up camp and also stickier. The tall stems dripped in sap and small green bugs. Ashton immediately started itching once he sat done beside me in the grass. I flattened the area around us and laid out my arms to hold the stems away from our bodies. Soon a semi-circle was formed and we were submerged into the grass.