Chapter [22]

[Charlotte Kendall]

Why am I running? Everything feels so ridiculous.

My stomach ached and pinched in agony as I fought back tears and the feeling of vomit. Running this fast for no good reason seemed foolish. I slowed to a clumsy step and began catching my breath. Everything is so unbelievable right now that I barely noticed the sky darken into another stormy day. I don't understand why Tyson's lies were making me so upset. Everyone lies now and then; we're all human it's just what we do. However, he continued to lie straight to my face when I had the evidence in my hands. My only thought was that he was hiding something for all of us, Tyson. . . the one person I trusted first on this island prior to finding my best friend again.

I sighed and placed my hands on my hips. This was crazy, I shouldn't be in here. I considered turning back around but I the dark grey clouds had suddenly melted into the rain and it was starting to come down hard. The darkness of the jungle was making me apprehensive, giving me this deep feeling that I was never alone here. I knew Benson had followed me but I couldn't judge how far or close he was from catching me.

The trees helped create a canopy coverage from the harsh rain but as soon as I stepped out into the open parts, the sunless sky rained on top of me with harsh needles of water. I was starting to shake terribly again and regretting ever running out here. I shouldn't be alone. The rainwater was hot and not refreshing, it was humid under the protection of the jungle making it harder to breathe as I stood there like a deer in the headlights.

I found the path to the lagoon on the left and was ready to hide under cover by the waterfalls until a voice cracked over the sound of the rain. I stopped in the mud instantly and swayed from side to side searching for a way to escape Benson's tracking.

He was a good tracker when you are nearby and I can't let him catch me, not yet. As much as I shouldn't be out here all by myself I didn't want Benson to be the one to find me first.

The path to the lagoon was all mud and created a water stream down the sand to the other side of the area. My feet could easily leave tracks in both paths so I hopped down the left towards the lagoon, purposely leaving footprints for him to track.

"Charlotte!" A voice calls for me in the distance and I panic. It was Benson, he was getting close.

I flipped my long hair out of my eyes and flicked my head around to look behind me. I tried to not breathe as heavily as leaves rustled and crinkled from the heavy water pouring down to the earth. I was out of my mind seeing shadows trail behind the various trees and plants. I worried I was growing dehydrated while hearing things unnatural in the jungle such as whispers through the wind and fingers snapping like the twigs.

"Charlotte! Come out now!" That voice was clear enough to snap me back towards the path. Benson could be around any corner by now.

I finished my small tracks before taking a clear leap into the bushes beside the path. After that, the rain took care of the rest washing away half of the prints and making them harder to track. Soon enough, as I predicted, loud splashing footsteps ran over from the direction I first came from. I hid under the scrubs and breathed in the thick scent of the soil before holding my breath as Benson passed.

"Charlotte, you need to come back now!" He yelled running up to the tracks I left in the dirt. I felt my cheeks burning and turning red as I held my tears down and covered my face in the dirt. "We shouldn't be out in this storm!"

I could only see his legs stopped in front of me. He turned side to side before kneeling down to touch the wet dirt with his fingertips. I hold my breath even tighter and squeeze my eyes shut, once I heard him shuffle off again I opened my eyes slowly and released my breath gently. My lips were shaking and my body was drenched by now with the clothes on my back clinging to my heated skin.