Chapter [27]

[Ashton Irwin]

I was right on their tail. Charlotte didn't think I would notice that they had left. It's obvious what she's doing with Tyson and Emma. They are the two most oblivious and desperate people here on this island. Tyson would do anything to be with her.

I silently dove under a branch and held my breath as the three made a U-turn around the double path breakaway. A short walk behind us was a massive waterfall filled deep in ice cold water. They all walked around it and straight past the mountain's bottom cliff. Wherever they were headed, it seemed that only Charlotte had the idea. Halfway through her and Tyson started arguing however and he started leading the way.

What were they up to now?

I decided to keep quiet until I was sure to catch them off guard somewhere safe. Right now we were close to the ocean side on the East. For all I could tell, everyone was walking in circles.

"Hey why aren't we headed in that direction?" I heard Emma call out ahead. I ducked closer to the ground as the three walked in a circle back onto the same path I was already on. "The ocean is behind us now." Emma wasn't wrong. We were practically on the edge of the cliff if they just turn to their left a couple more steps. I could even hear the beach floor beneath our feet.

"Let's just head back." Charlotte claimed.

"But we haven't found anything yet!" It was Tyson who grew frustrated with determination.

His face was pale but never washing out the freckles across his face. I could see Charlotte's emotions from this far and when she shifted her heels in the dirt it was in a flash that she bolted back towards the fields direction. She made a detour behind a large rock and whipped past me where I cradled under the bush. She started running from the two as Emma called out after her.

"Charlotte wait up!" Tyson yelled as well with Emma darting out in front of him.

I hopped out from behind the trees and ran after them too. The cliffs rock was only a bolder and behind it was the rest of the dirt path. It faded into thick grass and bush as the three trampled through without looking back. Emma had fallen behind and now I was close enough to reach her but I was too quiet for her to notice.

"Charlotte c'mon, lets just turn back. The others are going to know we left by now." Emma groaned and Charlotte slowed down immediately. When she turned around it was too late because she already caught me diving out behind the last tree.

"Ashton what the hell?" She shouted past Emma and Tyson. The others turned towards me surprisingly.

"See!" Emma shouted back at Charlotte as if to say 'I told you so'.

I shook my head and raked nails down my skull to the back of my neck. Sweat was already soaked through my tee and clinging to my chest. My muscles were raising up and down in quick breath as I stood there with all eyes on me. "What are you doing here?" Charlotte asked quite annoyed as she walked back through the grass to meet me down the slope of the pathway. Her hands were planted at her hips as a sweltering look of sweat and exhaustion rose from her bare skin. She was topless in this jungle with only her bright blue swimming top on to cover her upper chest.

"Just taking a stroll." I sigh sarcastically, of course everyone sees right through it. Charlotte rolls her eyes first and cocks her head to the side.

"I know what you're doing."

"Then why'd you ask?" I snap. After a long awkward pause I reach out for Emma's hand and pull her closer to my side, "Emma's right, we should turn back now." I say calmly with Emma now planted by my side. I didn't want anyone to get hurt out here while we are lost.