Chapter 1 - Time For A Change

"Willow! It's so good to hear from you. How have you been?" My longtime friend, Maria, exclaims as she answers the phone.

"Maria, I'm good. Ready for a vacation. How are you?" I'm leading up to something and I hope she catches on.

"Oh? Vacation huh. The modeling business usually takes you to many vacation spots. Where could you possibly want to be? Please say Greece..." Smart girl.

I laugh into the phone and reply, "Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I've come to the end of my contract and I am taking some time off before I enter the next one. I've missed you and want to come visit. Only if you can accommodate an old friend, of course."

"Of course! Oh! We will have so much fun. I can't wait."

"Good. I will call you with the finalized plans. Thank you Maria."

One week later...

The 9 hour flight from NYC to Athens was brutal. I'm stiff and sore and excited to be back on land. I make my way to the luggage claim area to see Maria waving and hopping up and down. I rush to her and we embrace.

"Welcome to my home, Willow! Did you have a good flight?"

"Yes, thank you. Oh, there is one of my bags." I point out and start to move forward. Maria stops me with one hand and gestures to someone beyond us to get my bag. She does the same for the other.

"You say I'm pampered!"  She laughs and we head to the pickup area.

Maria is just recently married to the younger son of one of the most wealthy families in Greece. I don't know exactly how they made their fortune but Maria seemed to be happy and I was happy for her. I was in her wedding a little over a year ago when they married on a beach in a private island. It was beautiful and exactly what I envisioned for my friend. Aaron loved her and treated her like a princess.

In the car on the way to their estate we caught up with each other and made plans for my stay.

"So, did you decide how long you would be staying?"

I hadn't. I just had to get away from the press and work and the crushing obligations. My agent wasn't happy that I didn't immediately go into another contract. If I wasn't working, she wasn't making money and I understood that. I was close to being burned out though.

"No, I booked a one way ticket and as soon as you tell me you have had enough of me, I will peacefully go." I say, with a mischievous smile.

"Never. You will have to just remain here then. That's final." She returns my smile. 

We met in college and were the best of friends in addition to roommates. We have kept in close contact over the years and hopefully would continue to.

"I wish I could. The few times I've been here, I've fallen more and more in love with this country."

We fill in the next few minutes catching up for the most part and then she drops the bombshell on me.

"Aaron and I are having troubles, Willow. I am so glad you came when you did. I really need a friend right now and some wisdom from a friend."

"Tell me what's wrong. Surely it's not that bad." I place my hand over her tiny one and hope it's something I can help her with.

"We have been trying and trying but we haven't been able to get pregnant. It's worrying me that Aaron will think less of me or want a divorce. What if I can't have children, Willlow?" She starts crying and I hold her through it, stroking her back and whispering encouraging things to her.