Chapter 9

~Spencer~

After I had said goodbye to Ridley through text last night, I knew she hadn't fallen back to sleep. Mostly due to her walking in like she hadn't slept in a year.

"I brought your favorite. Mocha latte." She mumbles, taking off her shoes, and walking to the living room. "I was too tired to go to a coffee shop for more than 15 minutes."

"That's fine." I murmur. "We can just settle this here then."

"Okay. Ask anything you need." I say as she plops down onto the couch with her green tea.

"How long have you been seeing him? How many times have you had sex?" She stares at me, sipping her tea, blankly.

I look down and count to myself. "Uhm... for 7 months, off and on, it was only for sex. We've had maybe... 23 sexual encounters.... Anything else?"

"Well," she pauses, thoughtfully. "Why a man? What was the point?" She sounded shaky there.

"I don't know why I chose a man. He just... he filled me with desire and curiosity... I guess... and you always seemed to not want me lately. I felt like I was unwanted. And I liked knowing how it felt to feel needed. Regardless if it was him using me for sex. He was hungry, and I was a buffet." I rambled off what was on my mind

"Why didn't you tell me how you felt?" She bites her lip. That's different than the last few months.

"Because I was afraid we were at the end of our relationship. I didn't want to lose you but I realize what I did hurt you a lot more than me losing you would..." I hang my head, sitting down on the opposite end of the couch from her.

"Honey. I'm sorry you felt that way. But I would like you to convey your feelings of doubt or fear." Her look is so mature, it makes me feel like a child.

"Does this mean we get to be together?" I ask, hopeful.

"Communication comes first. Next to me, of course. But I am willing to give you another chance. But you need to earn my trust back." She states, sternly. I nod.

"Then I need to let you know something else..." I start to tear up, I take a shaky breath.

"What is it?" I hear concern in her voice, she gets up and walks to the front of me.

"I... the times that Quentin and I.... in the last month or two..." I full on sob. "I forgot protection...."

She engulfs me in a firm hug. I don't know if she was just trying to make herself or me feel better with that, but I sure did feel a little better, no matter what.

"Well, did you remember the morning after pill?" She asks. I nodded. "Then you're okay."

"But... I lost the rest of them after two weeks..." I shakily sob, and curl into my sweetie's arms.

"Have you had your period?" She calmly asks. I shake my head 'no'. "How about a pregnancy test?" She asks, pulling out of the hug and taking my face in her hands.

"I-I.... I have some..." I say, trying to regulate my breathing. She wipes some of my tears, while looking at my face, puffy and red.

"Let's go take them, then." She sets down her tea and takes my hand, leading me to the bedrooms connected bathroom, upstairs.

"Okay..." I follow her, my hand in hers.

"Any nausea, morning sickness, trouble falling asleep... anything?" She asks. I nod, and she just keeps looking forward.

"Yeah... nausea, sometimes I'll throw up in the morning, not often." I mumble.

~minutes later~

I refused to look at the thing in my hand. I hold it shakily.

"I'm letting you know, Spence, that you're not alone in this. I will stay here with you, and I will raise him or her as my own. I promise." Ridley is speaking with such promise and passion. "Because I love you."

"But it's New York..."

"But you're my love." She insists, taking the device from my hand and looking at it.

She doesn't take her eyes off of it.

My stomach churns.

"You're pregnant." She chuckles.

And that's when it all goes dark.