Twenty-Six || A Brother's Compassion

Start from the beginning

"Why'd you do it, Ky?"

Startled from staring at the metal floor, she looks up. "Do what?"

"This!" Desmond exclaims, throwing his hands up in the air to show exaggeration of what he was talking about. "The Death Star, all this Dark Side stuff... but Ky... why'd you kill Dad?"

Suddenly, Kyla's anger takes over and she loses it. "He made me this way!" she screamed at Desmond, pointing a prosthetic finger at him. "He... He knew I would end up like this! It's all because of him! It's all Dad's fault!"

"Kyla," Desmond says calmly, stepping forward, "You can't blame Dad. I mean... not anymore. He's... dead."

And, as Desmond stands feet away from the most powerful, twisted being in the entire galaxy, he witnesses something nobody would've ever thought was possible to see. Desmond Valero witnesses former Kyla Valero, currently the dark Lord Demetrious, break down and cry.

She sinks to her knees, holding her head in her hands. Her long locks of dark hair fall in her face and she cries softly, gently at first.

Unsure of how to approach her, Desmond nears her like he would near Kyla Valero, his once sweet sister.

"Kyla... Kyla, don't cry," he says, kneeling to her height and carefully setting a hand on her shoulder. "You can stop this now. You can be the Jedi you always dreamed of being."

She didn't look at him. She continued to sob, muffled cries through her thick hair. "It's too late," she cried. "I'm a different person. I can't go back."

"Yes you can!" he encourages, hoping to end this war and relieve the galaxy of their fear. It was what he was sent here for, anyway, and he didn't want to let everyone down. He was so close to helping her...

"Ky, just listen to me. Remember when you would tell me all about the Jedi? And how much you dreamed of becoming one, how much you loved them?"

She says nothing.

"You were a Jedi, Ky. You were that Jedi you wanted to be so bad. You were strong, and smart, and you - you helped people, and you protected the galaxy from harm because that's what a Jedi does! You did all that, Kyla, and you can do all that again."

"I..." Kyla hangs her head and breaks out in an even louder sob. "I have... all the power... in the galaxy," she cries. "If I were to become a Jedi again, I would lose that power. I can't lose that power!"

"Kyla..." Desmond sighs, nearly on the verge of tears himself. "Ky, look at me." With his thumb he delicately brushes her thick dark hair behind her ear and she looks up, her eyes bloodshot, wet and puffy. When his gaze settles, and he sees through who he's really looking at, the yellow color of her eyes startles him - but he catches a slight glimpse of the pale blue color her eyes once were. There for a second, gone in an instant.

"Go back to your Master. Be the padawan he loved so much. Fix this, Kyla. Fix everything."

"My power, Desmond, my authority," she cries. "It's not just... something I can walk away from."

"It could be," Desmond says, "But you won't know unless you try."

"I don't want to try," she goes on, hanging her head again. "I don't want to lose my power. I have so much of it."

Desmond hesitates. "You can still have that power..." he lies to her, in hopes of ending all this. Maybe a lie would work.

It didn't.

"You're lying," she called him out, turning to him. "You think I can maintain my power as a Jedi. I can't!" she suddenly screams, her anger outbursting. "I can't keep my power as a Jedi, Desmond! As much as I'd like to I CAN'T!"

"So you do want to come back to the Jedi Order?" he asks, watching her as she rises. He remains kneeling, her towering figure above him.

"No," she says abruptly, turning away. "I don't want to go back. I don't have any power there. There, I'm just a - a padawan!" she snaps, picking up a nearby communicator and tossing it furiously at one of the larger windows in her anger. To her satisfaction, it cracks on impact, clattering to the floor in a hundred snapping and fizzing pieces.

Desmond rises, watching as she steps toward the largest front window, the one giving the best view of the Death Star. "Look at that, Desmond," she says proudly, hiding the fact she was just sobbing. "Look at my creation. It's... it's so powerful. And... it's mine."

"It's for the destruction of planets," Desmond yells to her. "You kill billions of people with that thing. Is that what you really want, Ky? To end billions of people's lives just like that?"

"I don't have to see them suffer," she musters coldly under her breath, "and that's all that matters to me."

"But why destroy a planet at all? Why not destroy nothing altogether?"

"I have to show the galaxy how much power I hold," Kyla explains, "And they won't see that without this. Without some sort of way to prove my worth."

"They already know how powerful you are, Kyla! The whole galaxy's afraid of you!"

She says nothing, and Desmond continues. "You - you would sit behind the bar, whistling with your hair tied back away from your face, cleaning up from a long day, telling me all about the Jedi. You'd tell me how they dress, where they keep their lightsaber, how they act, how they move - everything. Kyla, you wanted to protect the galaxy, not become the very thing it fears! Just look at this! Just look at what you're doing!"

She doesn't take his words to heart, and responds immediately, sharp and quick. "I'm proud of what I'm doing," she says boastingly, as though she never cried at all. In fact, she seemed fine.

"You shouldn't be." Desmond exhales, thinking he had to end this. It wasn't working.

He turns for the door, his hand on the handle to slide it open, and takes one last look at his sister's back.

"Mom wouldn't have wanted this."

With that, he concludes their 'meeting', slides the door open and exits, sliding it shut again behind him.

When he approaches the eager Jedi, them all asking questions about how it went though they could see by his expression it wasn't well, all he could do was shake his head. In fact, he was so upset, that he walked to the nearest wall, pressed his back against it, slid to a crouching position and cried.

Little did he know, the whole time Anakin had been using the Force to preview what was going on in the room - an old Jedi mindtrick. And, after witnessing the events of Kyla crying, the two of them screaming and the thing Desmond said to end it - Anakin turned away, allowing himself to shed a tear in private, behind their backs.

At last, at long, awaited last - he had accepted the truth.

Sweet little Kyla Valero was truly, and would forever be, a dead girl.

A/N: Short chapter - sorry! I have more coming up though, don't worry. I'm just a little delayed because I started a new story, called Forbidden - it's a Star Wars love story where Anakin falls in love with another padawan girl.

I'm really excited, and I would love if some of you guys could go check it out! I'm almost done the first chapter which should be done soon.

Thanks!

- Claudia 💙