Descending Into Hell

Castiel found Gabriel in Anna's room, patching up her wounds. Her injuries looked quite serious.

"Gabe, they're gonna kill Luci!" He cried as he approached Gabriel.

Gabriel saw him and was about to be happy that he was back, until he realized what he said. "What?"

"Th-they're gonna kill him! M-Michael has a s-sword, and he's gonna kill him!"

"Oh. His sword, huh?" He murmured.

"Yeah. Is it because he hurt Anna?" He approached Anna's bed, seeing her face covered in bruises.

"Probably. She'll be okay, she's just resting now. I decided to keep an eye on her- are you sure they intend to actually kill him?"

"Well, what else do you use a sword for?"

He saw Cas's point and nodded truthfully. "Good point. But... I don't think they're actually gonna... kill him. I think... he's about to fall."

Cas had heard of this before, but he never really knew what it was supposed to mean. "What do you mean by fall?"

"I mean... he's gonna fall from grace. Fall from Heaven."

This was a bit of a surprise for Cas. "Oh. That's a really long fall."

"Yeah. It is. Kind of a shame, too. He had a pretty big responsibility."

"What was it?"

"He's been guarding this thing called the Darkness. There's a little mark in his arm, it's like the lock and key to the prison where the Darkness is kept. Funny thing is, he hasn't really started acting up until-" He suddenly had an epiphany. "Oh my god."

"What?"

He looked Cas in the eye. "We need to stop them."

They flew down to the main cloud of Heaven, where Lucifer was about to be cast out. "Stop!" Gabriel called.

Everyone stopped and looked at him. "Gabriel, we don't have time for this." Michael groaned.

"Dad, it's not him! It's the Mark!" He walked up to his father. "Dad, the Darkness is getting to him. It's the Mark, it's corrupting him. If we just move it somewhere else-"

"I know." He interrupted.

"What?"

"What?" Michael echoed.

"I know that it's the Mark. I would have had him cast out long ago if it hadn't been for Michael's persistence. He thought he could snap Lucifer out of it. But... I'm afraid he is too far gone."

"But it isn't him!"

"I am aware. But the only foreseeable option in regards of removing the Mark is transferring it to another angel. Is this truly what you want?"

Gabriel thought about it before answering. "Give it to me."

"No!" Cas cried, not wanting the Mark to corrupt him.

Gabriel looked down at him. "Sorry, little bro." He looked back at his father. "Let me carry the Mark. We don't have to cast Lucifer out. Let me take the Mark."

"There is no point, Gabriel. Lucifer has carried the Mark for far too long. It is too late for him."

"He is my brother. I won't let you do this."

"It is not your decision." He looked to Michael. "Do it, now."

"No!"

But it was too late. Michael used his sword, and he had cast Lucifer out.