Chapter Six ~ Bladewing (EDITED)

Crystal

      I couldn't believe my eyes. Inside the small wooden chest was... nothing.

      "I talked my way out of being killed by a Screaming Death, for this?!" I exclaimed angrily.

      "No, there's got to be more to it. Who would just put an empty treasure chest inside an incredibly dangerous and hard-to-reach cave?" Adira wondered.

      Fishlegs took the chest into his hands. "By the looks of this wood and the ancient carvings on it, I would assume that this thing is nearly two hundred years old. And it obviously has not recently been handled, meaning no one has come and claimed the treasure. I don't understand..."

      I took it from Fishlegs and felt around. My hand came in contact with something relatively small and glass-like.

      "Wait, there is something in there. I think it's just... invisible."

      "Someone put an invisibility spell on whatever's in there?" Astrid asked skeptically.

      "It appears so," I replied and carefully took it out. Once it came in contact with the light from the Dragon Eye, which was illuminating the clubhouse, it seemed to appear from thin air.

      "Woah, what is that?" Tuffnut questioned.

      "It looks like something for the Dragon Eye." Snotlout observed, squinting.

      "You're right," Hiccup said. He took it from my hands and placed it on the end of the Dragon Eye.

      What appeared blew my mind. It was a whole new class of dragon, apparently called the Magic Class.

      "Ooh! More information!" Fishlegs cheered, hopping off his seat and over to the projection. "The Magic Class consists of dragons with magical abilities."

      "Well, duh." Ruffnut rolled her eyes.

      Fishlegs ignored her. "It consists of the Shifthorn, Size Changer, and-" his eyes visibly widened in excitement. "Adira, this is amazing!"

      "What? What is it?" She asked, trying to see the information behind Fishlegs.

      "There are facts about the Bladewing!"

      "Seriously? That's awesome!" She looked thrilled. "Okay, this probably sounds really weird, but is it okay if I read it in private?"

      "Sure," Hiccup yawned. "I'm ready to go to bed anyway. Come on guys." I started to follow the other Riders out, but Adira stopped me.

      "Hey, you didn't befriend a Screaming Death just to have me push you away, right?"

      "Right." I agreed with a smile.

      So we settled down and read the information about the almighty Bladewing.

      "The Bladewing is an incredibly rare species of dragon belonging to the Magic Class. One is always born on August 28th over the magical lair underwater in the Magisk Sea. They become part-dragon when they are exactly fourteen and a half years old. When in dragon form, they can do anything they imagine." Adira read aloud. "A few recent Bladewings were recorded to lose their minds once they turn eighteen, and kill everyone they see."

      I gasped, "what?"

      "Wait... it's August 26th, isn't it? So in two days, I'll kill you all!" Adira's eyes widened. "I need to get out of here. Forget Dagur, if I kill you all, there won't be anyone left to defeat him. I need to fly to a solitary island and rot away there."

      Before I could speak, she was hugging me.

      "Goodbye Crystal. I've only known you for a little while, but you've been a good friend." She moved on to the dragons. "Goodbye Melanite, Nightflash, Iris. I will treasure the three years I've had with you. Goodbye Magnet and Snowspirit, you were like the family I never had. Goodbye Frostbite, I hope you discover more about yourself."

      And with that, she turned into a Bladewing and took off into the night.

      I sighed. "She does know that she can just use that big imagination of her's to keep herself from going insane, right?"

      "Apparently not." Frostbite answered.

      "Let's follow her," Iris suggested.

      "Obviously," Magnet stated.

      So I hopped onto Frostbite and we raced off to find our forgetful friend.

      We flew for a long time, finally landing on an uninhabited desert island. I spotted Adira lying in the dirt, still in Bladewing form. As quietly as possible, I tiptoed towards her until I was in earshot.

      "You know, you can just-" I spoke, catching her off guard. She spun around and cut me off by dropping a net on top of me.

      It pinned me to the ground, making even the slightest movement impossible. The ends of the rope net were bound to huge and very heavy rocks, preventing me from getting up. I shot a look at Frostbite, who was swiftly avoiding the various nets thrown at him. He was the only dragon besides Snowspirit who wasn't entrapped.

      "Quick, Frostbite, you're faster. Fly to the Edge and get the other Riders!" I instructed. He gave a curt nod and flew off, lightning fast. I glanced at Snowspirit. "Snowspirit, get us out of here!"

A/N: So very sorry that this chapter is only about 800 words, instead of 1,000+. I've been suffering from a nasty case of writer's block (which surprisingly is the first time that this has happened in the series so far). I honestly don't know what to write now. I'll figure something out, I have a very active imagination.

Until next chapter,
~Ella