ten // kiani

H a p p y E n d i n g s

×

The duo sat against the cement wall next to each other in the musty bunker. The smell of rotten corpses surrounded them as dirty water dripped onto the grey floor and on the bodies of their dead comrades. It was only the two of them left as the zombies pounding on the bunker door grew stronger.

A hollow laugh left Will as he took a quick swig of a bottle of beer and passed it on to Jordan; they had meant to save it for a special occasion, but they supposed that drinking it right before they died was a special enough holiday. After all, with their death looming, it meant that the last of the human race was gone and along with it, the entire species.

Their hands were clasped tightly together, the only sounds being the dripping water and the bottle between the two of them after Will laughed. They had practically lost all of their sanity; what use was it to keep holding on?

Jordan let out an irritated sigh. "Why do the goddamn zombies have to be loud? At least let us die in quiet peace." He murmured before drinking the last sip of the beer and chucking it at the bunker door.

"Remember when we actually gave a shit about living?" Will said, grinning like a maniac. His sanity was far gone ever since they had been stuck in the place for a week. The rations were all out and the zombies had been on their trail for months now; it was only going to be a matter of time before they died.

"Remember when we had a normal life and didn't have to live life like the Walking Dead?" Jordan retorted, still annoyed at the volume of the zombies about to crash into the supposed safe haven.

"True, true." Will shrugged, rolling his neck and letting out a sigh of relief as it let out a loud cracking noise. "Didn't ever think that I'd this way, but life throws you a curveball sometimes, I guess."

"It seemed like forever ago when we were planning our wedding, y'know?" Jordan said, losing the annoyance as his voice took on a softer volume. "Didn't want this to be our happy ending, but this is the happiest ending we're going to get in this dystopia."

"At least we're going to die together, holding hands and the such." Will said, his words soon about to come true as the door broke open and the first zombie crawled in.

"They're here. Finally." Jordan remarked before turning to Will. "If we're going to die like this, which we are, I'm getting my goddamn kiss first."

So they sat there, lips locked in their own home of haven as the rotting corpses surrounded them and the water dripped down onto the grey, cement floor.