Softball

I step out of my moms car as she parks it. I grab my bag from the car and go for the fields. I set out my bat, glove, helmet, and water bottle. On the dusty old bench sat everyone's dripping water bottles, sunflower seeds, oh and of course gloves. On the corner of the dug out sat the bag of softballs and extra equipment. I grabbed my glove and went to practice with the rest of my team. About five minutes practice in the gusty winds and blowing heat we start. We field first, so our pitching picks up the dust and practices. I take my rightful place at second and watch. The short little girl acts like she owns home plate and holds up her bat. My hands are on my bent knees, hair out of my face, and my glove is dirty even when we have just started the game. I look up and there she goes. The Umpire from behind catcher screams "Strike One!" The batter looks a little on edge. I kick the dirt and get back into place. "Girls be ready!" Third base yells. "Strike two!" And here we go, I can see the determination in her eyes. Perfect pitch and there goes the ball. It lands in left center. I run to second and they through the ball to me and she's out. *two outs and four runs later* I'm up to bat. I back away just by a little at home plate. I bring my bat back and look right at the ball. Perfect pitch and she's a little faster than expecting. "Strike one!" The umpire yells, making me jump a little. I get back in position and I get another strike. Strike three and I'm out. I squint my eyes. Looking at the ball, I quickly swung my bat and ran. I didn't look back or hesitate. I ran to first and I was safe.