Chapter 7- A little reunion

The next day, Sarah went to Blaise's work to talk to him. She went up to the secretary desk and said "Hi. I'm Sarah. I'm here to see Blaise?" Then the secretary got up and lead her to his office. She knocked on the door and opened it and said "Mr. East man, you have a visitor." Sarah went in and he greeted his fiancé. They embraced each other and when she saw he wasn't alone, she looked at him with worry and said "I'm so sorry. I had no idea you were busy. I should've called." But he smiled and said "No. It's fine."  He told the others in the room to give him and Sarah some privacy. Then he went to his chair and sat down. While Sarah was sitting on his desk, he asked "What's up, Sarah?" She shook her head and said "I don't paint anymore. I used to paint all the time. I really loved it." He smiled and said "I didn't know that. If you want to paint then paint." She nodded her head and said "I will." Then he asked as she got up "Is everything okay?" She looked at him and took a deep breath and said "I need to get away. I need to go and take care of a few things. I need to clear my head. And I know your going to ask if you should be worried and just here to tell you, you don't have to be worried." Then he got up and said "Okay. That makes me a lot better. Listen are you all right? If you are, than go. Take your time, do whatever you need to do. It's okay to be nervous, all right? It's normal to get cold feet before you wedding." She shook her head and said "No, no seconds thoughts.?" Then she gave him a hug and a kiss and said "I love you. I'm going to back from Seabrook in a couple of days. Okay?" He looked at her and asked "Seabrook?" She nodded her head and said "Yeah. Seabrook." Then she got home, packed some clothes, and drove to Seabrook.

While Sarah was on her way to Seabrook, Jareth was in the barn working on a door for the house, when he heard a car door and stopped what he was doing and went to look. Sarah got out of the car and saw the house was white, with blue shutters and a big porch was wrapped around the house. She smiled at house. Then she turned and saw a man with blonde hair and mismatched eyes. She smiled and said "Hello. I saw your picture in the paper, the one with you and the house? And I just wanted to come and see if you were okay. I mean I wasn't in in the neighborhood or anything. I just . . ." She stopped for a minute. Jareth just stood there listening to her. Could she be right here? He asked himself. Then she asked "So are you okay?" He just continued to look at her saying nothing. The Sarah said "Good." But she started going to her car and said "I'm just a stupid woman. I shouldn't have come." While she was trying to drive away, she hit the logged fence and the car shut off. She tried to turn it back on but it wouldn't start. Then Jareth walked up to the car and looked at Sarah. Sarah kept on looking away from him and the he asked "Do you want to come in?" She took a deep breath and said "Okay." Then he opened her door and lead her inside.

PRESENT

I marked my place and replaced my reading glasses with my real glasses. The woman across from me said "This is a good story." I smiled and said" Well . . . I'm glad you like it." The looked away and said "I think I've heard it before. Perhaps more than once?" I looked at her and said "Yes you did." Then the nurse came up and said "Doctor need's to see you." The woman asked "Me? Now?" The nurse shook her head and said "Not you. Him." The woman began to protest and said "But he hasn't finished reading his story." I looked at her and said "I'll read some more when I'm trough with the doctor. This shouldn't take long. Don't you go away now." She told me all right. Then I went to the doctor's office. Before I left, I heard the nurse ask the woman "While you wait, maybe you'd like to play the piano for a few minutes? You do like that." The woman asked "I do?" The nurse shook her head yes. But the woman said "I don't know any tunes." The nurse told her she could read music. The woman asked "No kidding." The nurse shook her head no. Then I went to the doctors office smiling.

I took off my dress shirt and waited for the doctor. Then the doctor came in and he looked nothing familiar. I crossed my arms and asked "Who are you?" The man said "I'm Dr. Henderson, one of the new attending physicians. We haven't met so I thought I'd examine you myself." The he shook my hand and started looking at some papers. Then he said "Okay, so I see here that you've had 2 heart attacks over the last 18 months." I told him "Oh they were minor ones and I think one of them was from angina." The asked me "Okay any complications?" I told him "Nope. feel fine." Then he took his stethoscope and told me to take deep breathes. After he got done, he asked "Still taking you medications?" I told him "Everyday twice a day." He told me good and to put my shirt on. Then he sat down and said "So I understand that you read to Miss Williams." I told him "Yep, to help her remember. You don't think it will help?" He shook his head and said "No I don't." Then I said to him "She remembers Doc. I read to her and she remembers. Not always, but she remembers." The doc said "But senile dementia is irreversible. It's degenerative. After a certain point, it's victims don't come back." I told him "That's what other people tell me." But he said to me "Well  don't want you to get your hopes up." Then I said" Well, thanks doc but you know what they say? 'Science goes so far, then comes God'." The doctor repeated my quote but then I heard piano music stop, which made me say "Damn they forgot to turn the page for her." Then I asked him still fixing my shirt "You through with me?" Then I heard the piano playing again but it was familiar tune that didn't come from a music book. Then the doctor said "I guess they turned that page for her." After I got my shirt on, I shook my head and said "Nope. That she's playing by memory." Then I went to her and took her outside and we sat in a couple of Patio chairs that were out there and I continued to read to her.

1947

After Jareth invited Sarah in, they sat down in some chairs with coffee cups in their hands that Jareth made. They started telling each other everything that happened since they've see each other. Jareth told her about how he joined the army and why his eye looked they way it did. Then Sarah started telling him her story and said "I graduated college and I'm getting married. His name Blaise Eastman Jr." Then he asked "Wait, as in Eastman cotton?" She chuckled as she responded "As in Eastman Cotton." Jareth smirked a little and said "Wow. Your parents must love him." She nodded her head and said "Yeah they do. He's a really good man, Jareth. You'd really like him." He lean forward a little still holing his cup and said "That's good. Do love him?" She nodded her head and said with a smile "Yes I do. Very much." Then he sat back, stretched out his arms and said still smirking "Well, that's that. You marry Blaise and we can be friends . . . right?" She shook her head up and down. They were silent for a bit then he asked "Are you hungry? Want to stay for dinner?" She was silent but then said "Umm . . . yeah."

Later that day, they were eating dinner in silence. Then after taking a drink from her beer bottle, she said "I have to warn you Jareth, I'm a cheap drunk. Couple more of these and you're gonna be carrying me right out of here." He smiled and said "Well you can go slow then, I don't want to take advantage of you." She sighed and said "You wouldn't dare. I'm a married woman." He chuckled after taking a sip of his bottle of beer and said "Not yet." But she flashed her ring to prove him wrong. Then he sat back and took a good long stare at her. She felt uncomfortable and then she asked "What? Why are you looking at me that way?" He looked at her and smiled. Then he said "Just memories. This room." She looked around and asked "This . . . this is where we . . . this is the room?" He nodded his head toward the piano. She looked at it and took another sip from her beer. Then Jareth said "I'm full." She also sighed with a smiled "Me too." Then they got up and sat on the porch and Sarah listened to Jareth reading a poem.

" Oh how you drowse me.
Your breath falls around me like dew.
Your pulse lulls the tympans of my ears.
I feel a merge from head to foot.
Delicious enough."

Sarah smiled and said "It was real wasn't it? You and me. Such a long time ago, we were just a couple of kids. But we really loved each other, didn't we?" Jareth looked up and smiled. She looked at him and said "I should go." Then they got up and went to her car. She handed him his jacket. But before she got into her car, he asked "Do you think you could come back tomorrow morning? There's a place I want to show you." She smiled happily and said "Sure." Then she got in her car, started it up, bid Jareth goodnight, and drove away. She has come back into his life like a sudden flame, blazing and streaming in his heart. Jareth stayed up all night contemplating the certain agony he knew would be his, if he were to lose her twice.