Chapter 2 - The First Date

The next morning, while Arian and Jareth were on their way to work with some other workers, Jareth saw Sarah walking down the street and ran to talk her. He got up beside her and asked "Do you remember me?" She looked at him and smiled. Then she said "Yeah sure. Mr. Underwear. Was it? How could I forget." Then she chuckled at her own comment. They kept on walking and he kept on wanting to talk to her. "Yeah, I wanted to clear that up with you because I'm really sorry about that. It was really stupid to do . . . crawl up the ferris wheel to talk to someone. But I had to be next to you. I was being drawn to you." He said to her. She just smiled and laughed. Then she said "Oh . . . oh, jeez, what a line. You use that with all the girls?" Jareth shook his head and told her no. Then she continue walking and said to him "Right. I saw you the other night with little Miss Ribbons."

Then he stepped in front of her to stop her from walking and asked "What are you doing tonight or tomorrow night or this weekend, whatever?" She looked at him with a questioning look. "What? Why?" she asked him. He looked at her with confusion and said "Why? Our date of course." She smiled and asked "What date?" He looked at her and told her "The date that you agreed to. You did. You promised and you swore it." She started walking and said "Well I guess I changed my mind." She walk past him and ran to her and said "Look, I know you get some dirty guy coming up to you on the street . . . you don't know him. You don't know me, but I know me. And when I see something I like, I gotta . . . I love it. I mean I go crazy for it."

She just looked at him and asked "Okay. Jareth, What are you talking about?" He smiled and told her "Well you of course. Who else?" She laughed and told him "Oh, you're good. You are good. You are. You're fantastic. You really are. I'm impressed." He looked at her with disbelief and said "No, no your getting me all wrong. Look I'm not usually like this, I'm sorry. But listen, I can be fun if you want . . . pensive, uh, smart, uh superstitious, brave. And uh . . . I can be light on my feet. I could be whatever you want. You just tell me what you want and I'll be that for you." With that being said, She told him "You're dumb." He smiled and told her "I could be that too." Then she chuckled and walked away. Then he yelled to her "Come on, one date. What's it gonna hurt?" She yelled back him "Umm . . . I don't think so." He looked at her in disbelief and asked her "Well what can I do to change you mind?" She looked at him and told him "Guess you'll figure something out." And got into the car that was waiting for her. As she drove away, he thought to himself she's got me all wrong. Then he continued walking to his work at the lumber yard.

Later, that day but at night, Jareth and Arian were on their way to Mackenzie to see a movie. Jareth looked at Arian and asked "You sure she's coming?" Arian looked at him and told him "Relax, pal, it's all set up. We're meeting them for the late show." The he looked in front of him and said "Look . . . what did I tell you? Come on." As he pointed to the theater, he and Jareth went across the street to the front doors of the theater. After they got there, Mackenzie saw them and said in a surprised tone "Oh my goodness. What a coincidence." Then Sarah whispered to her "I need to talk to you for a second." But Mackenzie didn't listen and said to her "Sarah . . you remember Jareth don't you?" Sarah smiled and told her "Yes I remember." Then Mackenzie went up to Arian and kissed him which he greeted happily. Then Jareth and Sarah shook each others hands and he said to her "It's nice to see you again. You look great. You really do." She smiled and said t him "Nice to see you again too. You look great too." Then Arian came up and slugged his arm around Jareth's neck and said "You do look great, Sarah. And you look great, Jareth. And I know I look great. So can we please see this movie?"

Then the four went inside to see the movie. While the movie was going, Arian and Mackenzie were busy making out while Jareth and Sarah tried not to make eye contact with each other. And in Jareth's failure, he got up from his seat and sat down next to Sarah, who wouldn't stop smiling at how Jareth was looking at her and they both sat there and exchanged looks and shared Sarah's popcorn. After the movie, they went to Arians car. He opened the door for Mackenzie, but Jareth and Sarah said they were going to walk. But that made Arian came up and started teasing by asking if they liked each other. Then they walked away while Arian and Mackenzie drove off. After they started walking, Sarah said "That was fun. I haven't seen a movie in ages." He looked at her and said "What? Really?" She smiled and told him "Nope. Not since I was a little kid." He looked at her and said "Really? Sounds like you haven't been out much." She shook her head said "No, I . . . I'm busy you know. I don't have a lot of time." He looked at her and asked "You busy? How are you always busy and don't have a lot of time?"

She looked at him and said "Well . . . I have a strict schedule and my days are all planned out. I get up in the morning . . . breakfast, math tutor, Latin tutor, lunch, . . . tennis lessons, dance lessons, sometimes both, French tutor, piano lesson, then I eat dinner. And after dinner I spend time with my family. And then I-I catch up on some reading." They were silent for a couple seconds. Then he said "Wow. Education must be very important. Isn't it?" She sighed and said "Oh, you bet. Its a road to success. We're applying to all the colleges . . . Sarah Lawrence and Radcliffe are the ones we want." After that being said, Jareth asked "Who's we? Before you go off questioning, you said 'the ones we want.' So . . . who's we?" She smiled and said "Oh . . . Mom and Daddy. Well Karen and Daddy. But I call her mom since I've know her most of my life after my real mom left. We never saw eye to eye at first, but we learned to love each other. I also have a little brother named Toby. He's off at a summer school so he can take over my daddy's business after he dies. He's a very sweet boy, I think you'd like him. We decide everything together. The important stuff only." They continued walking, and Jareth asked "So then everything else you get to decide all by yourself?" She took her hand, slapped his arm and said "Hey don't be rude. Okay?" He laughed and said "I'm sorry. I was just trying to figure out what you do for fun."

She looked at him asked "What do you mean?" He looked at her and said "I mean . . . I don't know. I mean all those things are things you have to do right? So what do you do because you want to?" She looked at him and said "I just told you." They kept on walking and Jareth shook his head at what she said "I don't know. This surprises me because I just figured you were kinda . . ." She looked at him, crossed her arms over her chest and asked "Kinda what exactly?" He smiled and said "Oh you know . . . kinda . . . free." She smiled and said "Free? Wait a minute you don't think I'm free? Well I'll have you know, mister. I am free." Then Jareth said "You don't seem like it." The she said trying to win the controversy topic "Well I am." Then he smiled at her and had an idea pop up in his head. "Hey come on. I want you to show you something." He told her. Sarah looked at him and asked "Jareth what are you doing?" He told her to just come on. She ran up to him and told him "You're gonna get run over." He smiled and asked "By all the cars?" Then he got down and laid down on his back. He looked up at the traffic light and said "My dad and I used to come out here and lay down and watch the lights change. From yellow, to green, to red. You could try it if you wanted to." She stood there over him and said "No, I'm not." He asked her "Why not?" She started walking away and said "Because I don't know. Jareth, will you just get up?" He looked at her and said "You see? That's your problem. You know that? You don't do what you want." She looked around and said in defeat "Okay . . . fine."

Then she laid down beside him and looked up while occasionally look around and looked over at Jareth a couple times and they both giggled. "So what happens if a car comes?" She asked him. He sighed and said "We die." She looked at him and almost yelled "What?!" He told her "Just relax. Just trust. You need to learn how to trust." They were silent for a few seconds then she said "Paint. Remember when you asked me what I do for me? Well . . . I like to paint." He looked at her and said "Really? Wow. That's amazing." She smiled and said "Most of the time, I have all these thoughts bouncing around in my head. But with a paint brush in my hand, the world gets kinda quiet." After a few seconds of silence, there was honking and they looked up, saw a car coming and ran while Sarah screamed. The driver yelled "Get out of the street!" While Jareth was out of breathe, Sarah was laughing. He asked "Are you okay? What's so funny?" She smiled and said "Oh god. Oh . . . that was fun." He smiled and asked "You want to dance with me?" She smiled and said "Sure." Then he took her hand and lead her into the street. But Sarah said "Wait right know? We're not supposed to dance in the middle of the street." He kept on walking while holding her hand. He smiled and asked "Who said anything about dancing in the street?" Then he twirled her and she said "And . . . we don't have any music." He smiled and told her "Then we'll make some." Then they got into their dancing position and started dancing. Then Jareth started humming 'I'll be seing you' by Billie Holiday. "Bum . . . . bum bum. . . . bum bum bum bum." She laughed and said" You're a not a half bad singer." He told her "I know, Sarah." Then she smiled and said "But I like this song." Then they continued dancing. Southern summers are indifferent to the trials of young love. Armed with warnings and doubts, Jareth and Sarah gave a remarkably convincing portrayal of a boy and a girl traveling down a very long road with no regards for the consequences