choice vs. censorship

I'm sure you've heard at least a whisper of this before: Should women be allowed, by law, to fully display their breasts?

The argument for women showing off their nipples is that men can, women can't. Is it sexist? Most definitely. Men have always "earned their rights" before women, but just this once, maybe sexism and equality can exist... together... peacefully. Imagine a topless woman strolling down New York City ( and this has happened multiple times before ), they draw a lot more attention than a shirtless man. Male and female nipples are not on the same level of sexual appeal. So in a sense, there is already equality. Men and women are on the same level of sexual display when the men are shirtless, and the women are sporting skimpy bikinis.

The argument against this issue is the the guidelines of decency and censorship. From profanity buzzers to blurred genitals, there are many things on the list of Things-To-Never-Show-Your-Five-Year-Old, and mama's boobs are on that list. The main reason might be because breasts are usually required for motherhood, therefore, there's a natural attraction to them. The idea of covering up this attraction is based purely on Western traditions and ideas. The West has always been influential, but even today, there are unaffected civilizations that find it perfectly acceptable for a women not to cover her upper body. So if decency was ever only defined by traditions, is it still a justifiable reason to forbid the showing of the female areola?

The obscure tribes featured in National Geographic proves that humans are able to live in a nipple-tolerant society. One can argue that the sexual appeal of a woman's breasts come only from the taboo nature of it. If we just take a few right turns, this can be the beginning of a more cosmopolitan world!