21

Author's Note: I want to share a quick story with you all! Three weeks ago, I travelled to Africa on a mission trip. We had an absolutely blast, and I loved it sooooo much.

The photo on the side is of me and a little girl named Maya. I met Maya when we visited a school in a small, poor town.

She was an absolute doll and immediately warmed up to me. While everyone else finished their cleaning, I sat with her and talked to her. She explained what the beads on her necklace meant, told me about herself, how her mama made her that necklace before she was put up for adoption because she grew too sick to care for her.

It warmed my heart that this little child had watched her own mother die, her siblings be taken from her, yet she still kept this beautiful smile on her face. I'll NEVER forget her.

It made me rethink my life. I'm very blessed, but I don't think even I smile as much as Maya. x

I just wanted to share that with you all. I highly recommend that some of you go on a mission trip because it is worth it.

(for the story, remember that in meetings, the board goes by numbers instead of names)

Harry's POV

"Alright," I began. "I now call this meeting to order. If you have something you would like to say, please raise your hand."

A woman who sat on the end of the table raised her hand politely. "Yes, number five?"

She stood up straight and turned to face me. "Mr. Styles, like many others, I have found that you have not been focusing on your work like the rest of us. When you go home at night, you don't always prepare for the next day like you should.. You go out somewhere and push it aside.

"I, for one, do not favour this. With the huge company you have, I think you should be devoted to your work and only your work." She sat down and stared at me expectantly.

1.. 2.. 3.. I slowly counted to ten in my head so that I wouldn't lose my cool. I cleared my throat. "Miss, I have a life. I'm not sure if that surprises you or not, but I do. And, my job isn't the only thing that I have going for me, so it is best for you to mind your own business. I am doing perfectly fine."

Number five raised her hand again. "But, Mr. Styles, this could one day ruin-"

"One day," I repeated. "That's where you're bluffing. Everything is fine now. We'll worry about that time when and if it comes. Anything else?"

My phone buzzed repeatedly in my pocket, signalling that someone was calling me.

"I need to take this," I spoke. "I'll have Amelia take me over." The board stared at me in awe.

"See? This is the problem! You're taking calls during important-"

"Number five," I spoke sternly. "I do not want to be rude, but this is not something we should discuss in a meeting. I am the president of this company, you are only part of the board. My business is not yours."

She sat down with a frown on her face and leaned in to whisper to the man beside her, all while giving me a glare. I rolled my eyes and called Amelia in, then took a step outside.

When I pulled out my phone, I had two miscalls from Niall, which is odd because he hardly ever calls whenever I'm working. Isn't he in class?

In class or not, I decided to call Niall back. It rang two or three times before I heard his lovely voice.

"Harry," he breathed.

"Baby," I answered. "Why'd you call? Aren't you in class?"

"No, I went home sick.. Threw up in the bathroom before lunch," he sighed. "Sorry I bothered you. What I called for wasn't important."

"I'm so sorry, Ni," I frowned. "Do you need me? I can come over right now. Anything you say is important. Why'd you call?" I repeated the last question again.

"No, I'm okay. I feel a lot better. I just called because I was feeling really nervous.. I thought that maybe hearing your voice would calm me down. I'm alright now."

My heartbeat increased. "Shit," I cursed. "I'm so, so sorry! I was in a meeting, and I couldn't answer you. I feel terrible." I ran my fingers through my hair, waiting for his reply.

"Don't be, Harry. It's fine, okay? It was a silly, and I'm alright now. It was beyond stupid to call." Niall spoke, and I could feel his reassuring smile through the phone.

"Will you be home tonight?"

"Yeah. I mean, I'll be working my shift at the library, but I'll be home before dark."

"Perfect," I grinned. "I'll make it up to you, baby. Do you need me to pick you up?"

"Nah, I'll just stop by on my way home. It's closer."

"Okay, love," I spoke. "I'll see you soon."

"Yeah, see you soon," Niall's reply was. very dull and almost seemed uncertain, but I chose to ignore it.

Author's Note: Sorry for the short and sucky chapter! I promise the next one will be better, I just needed this one in between. :-) x

VOTE • COMMENT • FOLLOW