Chapter Thirty Five

Start from the beginning

“What!” I practically screamed. “I'm not a traitor!” Elena smiled at me.

“Nice try. That was pretty good acting, but no matter how convincing you are, they don't give a damn. We just have to stay here until we're killed.”

Killed? I swallowed. These people were all Radeskian. They were all traitors, maybe not the main one we were looking for who had infiltrated into the high ranks, but all traitors.

And they thought I was one? I knew it was best to act for the moment. Who knew how they would treat me if they found out I was actually a Lorendian? I could also find out more information this way.

I frowned. Here I was, still loyal to my country, and yet they had accused me of being a murder. I shook my head to myself.

“What are you in here for?” I asked casually, or I hoped that it sounded that way. She sighed.

“I'm the leader of the second division of Radeskian Imperial Forces.” My eyes widened,

“Your a knight?” I asked surprised. She narrowed her eyes.

“Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't kick ass.”

“That's not what I meant,” I said quickly, “and I'm not sure why I reacted like that. Believe or not, hearing you say that makes me really happy.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Definitely,” I replied. “Your the first girl knight I've met, other than myself.”

“Your a knight?” she asked. I laughed, and she smiled. “But seriously, that's pretty awesome. You're also the only girl knight I've ever met. Too bad you've been in Lorendian the whole time. We could have used you pretty well in our forces. But once we get out, you can come back with us.”

“If we get out,” I muttered, not smiling anymore. Here was the first girl knight I had met, and she just had to be on the enemy side. Great.

“I'm sure we will. Anyways, back to your earlier question. For some stupid reason, one of the other head leaders had lost our battle plans, and the Lorendian forces had found them. They had captured me and demanded answers, but I gave none. So they put me in here.” She glance downwards, as if to hide her expression. “They would have put me in here if I told them anyways.” I wasn't sure how to continue the conversation, so I kept quiet.

A little later on, the doors to the dungeon castle opened. I heard the door, but no light was let in. I wasn't sure what time of day it was, but I was pretty sure not too much time had passed since I had been sent down here. That must mean that the prisoners were fed breakfast pretty early.

Everyone rushed to the bars, clinging to them and trying to get closer to the knight handing out food, as if it was a lifeline. I blankly watched from afar, my back leaning against the wall. I watched as a small package was slid into my holding cell. Standing up, I waked over and unwrapped it. My nose crinkled in slight disgust. What I was looking at was far from the breakfast I had everyday. Glancing at the others, what they were eating didn't seem to make a difference, since they were stuffing it into their faces like wild animals. I guess it didn't really matter when you were stuck underground, never sure when your next meal was going to be.

I wrapped my package back up and set it on the ground. Elena peered at me curiously from the other cell.

“Are you gonna eat that?” she asked. I shook my head. She smiled. “Can I have it?” I sighed.

“It's all yours,” I answered, and slid the food right into her cell.