Break

"Okay, have a nice break Mark!"

"Yea, you too Mr.Patrick," Mark replied, leaving the classroom. "Four o'clock already?" Mark mumbled, "Hope my mom isn't mad... it's his fault anyways for showing me those science fails on YouTube." He opened his locker, throwing on his black winter jacket and red beanie. He pulled his book bag out, and zipped it up before heading down the silent hall. Worst part about staying late...the silence, he thought. He could only hear the sounds of his own footsteps and breathing. He threw open the door, and noticed a kid sitting on the steps. He had a red scarf wrapped around his face. The kid looked up. Snowflakes dotted his lashes. Jack.

"Mark," he started.

"What?" Mark asked, approaching Jack and planting a kiss on his cheek. Jack's face reddened, and he pulled his scarf over his face so only his eyes showed. "You haven't been waiting in the cold just for me have you?" Suddenly he noticed tears on Jack's face. "What's wrong? Jack are you okay?"

Mark took a gloved hand and brushed away the blue-eyed boy's tears. "Mark, I have to go back. Back home. Ireland. And I'll probably never see you again. This," he said, touching the place where Mark had kissed him, "It's not going to work. I desperately want it to...But it's not. So just, forget about me. Can you do that?"

"No," Mark said, "No, I can't forget someone as wonderful as you." He pulled Jack into a hug. "Please, we can make it work."

"Mark, I l-love you, but you have to let me go," Jack whispered.

"No! I can't," Mark cried.

"You have to," Jack said, releasing Mark. This time he wiped away Mark's tears. "You have to." Jack felt a few more tears slip down his face.

"Will you at least walk me home?" Mark begged.

"Okay," Jack said, taking Mark's gloved hand in his own. Mark's eyes travelled to the flakes of snow in his boyfriend's hair.

"Why don't you take my beanie? You look cold," Mark said.

"I couldn't," Jack said.

"Come on," Mark said, taking it off, "Something to remember me by, and it'll match your scarf." He stuck it on Jack's head. "And your cheeks."

"Mark," Jack said, "I don't have anything to give you."

"You've given me more than you know," Mark said, smile faltering for just a second. "What am I going to do without you..." Jack squeezed his hand.

"You'll find someone else," Jack said, "Someone as handsome as you won't have a problem." It was Mark's turn to blush. They were almost upon Mark's house. They stopped before the steps. "So this is goodbye."

"I guess..." Mark said, tearing up again. "Please don't break up with me."

"Mark, you know how hard long distance relationships are to maintain. You told me about that British boy. You put yourself in so much pain," Jack said.

"But you're not hurt at all?" Mark said, "You seem to already be over me."

"No, that's not it at all," Jack said, voice cracking, "I'm fucking heart broken, but I'm trying to comfort you."

Mark hugged Jack tightly, "Can you at least promise me we'll meet again in the future?"

"I promise," Jack whispered.

They parted. "Is...Is this it?" Mark asked, "Are we over?"

"I'm sorry," Jack replied softly. There was a bit of awkward silence. Mark didn't want Jack to leave yet. "It's getting dark, I've got to go... G-Goodbye Mark."