Not Your Fault

He clutched his eye, mumbling a swear word and an 'I'm so stupid'. His boyfriend looked at him worriedly at first, but when he realized what happened he couldn't help but giggle. "I thought you said you were good at building things," Mark said, still trying his best not to laugh. 

"That has nothing to do with coordination," Jack replied, though by now he was smiling alongside Mark. 

"Do you need some ice?" Mark asked.

"Nah, it's not that bad," Jack replied, removing his hand. Purple had already started appearing around his left eye. 

"Okay, should we get back to building or call it a night?" Mark asked. 

"I don't care. The puppy can wait, right?" Jack replied.

"Should we ask her?" Mark asked. He gave a high pitched whistle. The small beagle pup came running to them. She gave a high pitched bark. Mark scratched her head, "Can your dog house wait Sophie? Can it?"  Jack smile brightened listening to the special voice Mark reserved for doggies. The dog yipped. Jack raised an eyebrow.

"Care to translate?" Jack asked.

"She says...feed me!" Mark replied. 

"That's what she always says," Jack said, standing up, taking it as a signal to wrap up. The two walked inside, the dog at their ankles. Jack sat on a stool, elbows on the counter as Mark went to the cupboard where they kept the dog kibble. He dumped some in the silver bowl, 

"Here Sophie!" he called. She immediately began to eat out of the bowl. Mark smiled, and suddenly the two men met eyes. "We gonna do anything tonight?"

"Popcorn and a movie?" Jack asked.

"Sounds great!" Mark replied, "Your turn to make it, right?"

"Isn't it always my turn?" Jack responded sarcastically, grabbing a microwavable popcorn packet from the box on the counter and throwing in the package in. He punched in the number he had by now memorized. "What're we going to watch anyways?" he asked. Mark shrugged.

"I'll surprise you," he said, ducking into the living-room. Jack sighed. He had to brace himself for a prank. Last week Mark had turned on My Little Pony. Jack reached up on his tiptoes, grabbing the blue popcorn bowl from the cabinet. The microwave beeped. He opened the door, grabbing the popcorn bag. He tore it expertly and let the hot popcorn tumble into the bowl. 

"Popcorn's done!" he shouted, "Got something ready?"

"YeesssSS!" Mark replied. Jack walked out. It was an anime. Kiki's Delivery Service. He smiled, sitting next to Mark, cuddling and preparing to watch the movie. Their hands would occasionally graze the other, causing them to blush and meet the other's eyes despite having dated for around six months.

The  next morning Mark came back into the room after his shower, hair still wet and strongly smelling of some male body product. Jack blinked open his eyes, smiling at Mark from underneath the covers. "I can go get us some coffee if you want," Mark commented, referring to their favorite cafe.