Chapter Eighty-Two

Start from the beginning

I walk over to our bed and Katniss wraps her arms around my waist.

I pat her back and lean down, kissing her forehead.

"It'll be okay. You don't even have to talk to her if you don't want to. I won't make you." I say.

She looks up at me, "Please, just hurry back to bed?"

I nod my head, "I'll try to make this as quick as possible but you know she will spend the night."

Katniss rolls her eyes, nodding.

"I'll be back soon. You try to get some rest. Don't worry about her." I say, messing her hair up with my hand.

She smiles sadly, "I love you."

I nod my head, "I love you," and quietly, I shut our bedroom door and head downstairs, holding my breath.

"Uh, sorry about that. We were asleep." I say.

"No, I'm very sorry. I tried making it earlier but the flight got delayed." Mrs. Everdeen says.

I gesture the couch and we both go sit.

I sit on the long couch while she sits on the love seat.

"I love what you've done with the place. It's far nicer than it was when I lived here."

I fake a smile, "Thanks. I like it too. Katniss did a good job on picking stuff out." I laugh a little.

This is so awkward but I have to do it.

She smiles sadly, not making any eye contact with me.

I never expected this to happen, especially not tonight of all nights.

I thought maybe if she did something like this, it would've been while Katniss was in the hospital having Willow.

Again, my question is why now?

What made her suddenly show up?

"How is she doing? I'm guessing she hasn't had the baby yet?"

I swear if I was as twisted as my mind is telling me to be right now, I would tell her we already had Willow. That she is upstairs asleep with Katniss and she can't see her, but that wouldn't be very good in the long run.

I shake my head, "No, not yet." I say.

She doesn't even know her name and didn't even call to check on either of them after that day.

"Oh good."

I roll my eyes, knowing she's not looking.

"Yeah, Katniss is on bed rest though. She can't do anything. She can't leave our bedroom." I lie.

Well, it's not completely a lie but I'll have to make sure Katniss knows I told her this.

Maybe it'll save her some time or something, I don't know.

"Oh."

I nod my head, "You know how she is. She's not very happy about it."

She's not happy one bit about it but she does have more freedom than I'm leading on, but Mrs. Everdeen doesn't need to know that.

"Yes. She is her father's daughter." Mrs. Everdeen says with a soft, breathy laugh.

I involuntarily smile at the thought.

From what I've heard, Katniss is exactly like her dad, in every way and they were best friends.

He was her hero and her best friend.