Twenty-Two || Hiding

Start from the beginning

"I... I can't let go, Master. I'm sorry. I'm trying, really, I am, but..."

"No." Obi-Wan interrupts, scratching his beard in thought, pacing around as I could see on the hologram image. "Don't apologize, Anakin. I should be the one apologizing. I'm sorry I insulted you that way, Anakin, but you should really let go of her. At this point she's impossible to get back."

I hear Anakin heave a sigh through the comlink, but Obi-Wan continues. "And, Anakin, I advise you to return home. We can talk about what happened on her cruiser later... but where are you?"

Anakin pauses, I can hear his faint hesitation, but he speaks up. "In a medbay."

I lean in closer, my eyes widening. What could've possibly happened to Ani? My mind wandered endlessly with the infinite possibilities...

"What? Of what starship?"

"One of Kyla's cruisers, Master. Not the one she's currently on, one closer to the atmosphere of Coruscant. My fighter is in the hangar, and I'll be released within the next... ten minutes."

"What could you have possibly done to land yourself in the medbay, Anakin?"

Once again, he hesitates. I'm on the edge of the seat now, my hands gripped to the desk in front of me as I wait patiently for what Anakin has to say. How did he end up in the medbay?

"She... Force choked me, Master."

I slapped a hand over my mouth to keep myself from screaming, or bursting into tears.

"Anakin! Do you even realize - "

"Yes, Master, I know. And I'm deeply sorry. It was a mistake, I shouldn't have gone to talk to her."

"Yes, now you figure that out. Anakin, sometimes I just - "

"Not now, Master. It wasn't too painful, some medical droids took a notice that I was having breathing problems, so... they took me here. It's unnecessary, I believe, but I'll be out soon."

Obi-Wan sighs, obviously angered. "Your family is probably worried sick about you," he lies to Anakin. Obi-Wan knows very well I was worried sick about him, as were his children. He adds, "You best be on your way home to them."

"I am, Master. I will be home soon."

With that, Obi-Wan disconnects from the comlink and turns back to his holonet. "Milady, I'm very sorry you had to listen to... that. On the backhand, maybe it was a good idea. Now you see how foolish Anakin can truly be sometimes."

"I know," I answer flatly, "But thank you for remaining connected. I did deserve to know what was going on with him."

Obi-Wan exhales and picks the holonet up, about to disconnect. "Well, Senator Amidala, please let me know when Anakin does return home. I feel as though he won't do that himself."

"Of course, Obi-Wan. Thank you."

He disconnects, and I'm left sitting in the small work room, my blank holonet on the desk in front of me. I sigh and fold my arms over the desk, slowly leaning my head to rest in the crevices of my folded arms. And, slowly but calmly, I sob for awhile.

Anakin's foolishness could've gotten him killed, I think.

Narrator's POV

Anakin Skywalker was at last released from the medbay on Demetrious' starships cruisers. He took his Starfighter and went home, to Coruscant, where he wasn't greeted openly by his wife.

She stood on the veranda, waiting patiently for him to land. He shot open the top of the fighter and climbed out, not looking the least bit woozy. "Padmé," he says cheerfully, taking her into a hug. She didn't wrap her arms back around him; she stiffened.