Chapter 19 - How Serendipitous

Ethan knocked on the bathroom door, trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

"Mariposa, please come out and talk to me."

One moment she was standing in front of him in that little blue number and the next she was sprinting to the bathroom.

"Oh, shįt." He was admiring her pert, toned body and then caught sight of the scars on her legs. He shook his head. He probably looked angry. Yeah, he was furious. But it wasn't at her--it was at that goddamn Erdo.

"Mariposa please come out. I can explain." Ethan looked at his watch. They didn't have much time. They had to leave now to catch the last flight at 8:00 p.m. If they hit rush-hour traffic, and they probably would, they would be stuck in New York another night.

"I know it may have looked like I was mad at you, but I wasn't. I was angry at Erdo. It was the first time I saw what he did. I'm sorry if I frightened you. Please don't be upset with me. I don't want you to be ashamed either. It wasn't your fault. Always remember that."

He was talking as fast as he could trying to figure out the right thing to say, trying to reassure her, trying to get her out of the bathroom so they could leave. "Mariposa, I'm sorry, we're short on time.  I'm going to get you some clothes and leave them by the bathroom door. I'll wait in the other room while you change. But you have to hurry or we'll miss our flight."

Digging through layers of provocative lingerie in her suitcase, Ethan pulled out a lavender bra and panty set, a lavender cami, a cream-colored sweater, black jeans and heels. Yeah, that wasn't going to be a comfortable trip knowing what she wore under those jeans. He placed the clothing on the chair by the door. "Mariposa, our bags are packed and everything is ready to go. The limo is waiting. We'll talk about what happened when we get to the airport. Please hurry."

In the living room he rolled both bags to the door and placed their coats on top. He looked at his watch and began to pace.

Ethan.

Lizzie?

Have you heard from Terra?

No. But I think she's okay. We would know if she wasn't. Why?

I think I'm being followed.

By who?

I'm not sure, but I know it's a vampire.

Ethan took a deep breath. Dammit. He hated traveling without his gun. He felt so vulnerable. Have you run into any problems?

No. So far I'm just being followed.

Keep your head down, stay in busy areas and stay alert. They're looking for Mariposa already.

That's what I thought. How is she?

Um. She's fine, he lied. But she would be. Let me know if you have a problem. I have to go. I don't want to miss the plane.

Looking up he saw Mariposa standing in the doorway. God, she was beautiful. Her hair was shiny and combed into a little wave at the ends. The sweater was loose enough to hang off one shoulder, and the weave wide enough for the camisole to show underneath. The jeans fit tight in all the right places and the black heels elongated her legs.

Ethan, are you there?

Oh, sorry, Mariposa just walked in. And what were you thinking sending those clothes?

Lizzie giggled. Take care of her Ethan. Call me when you get to San Francisco.

With that, his sister was gone.

Uncertainty clouded Mariposa's face.

"I'm sorry if you thought I was angry with you." She wouldn't raise her eyes or speak to him again. It was always two steps forward and one step back. But they would get there again. He placed his hand at the small of her back. "We need to go. Are you ready?"

No answer came but Mariposa walked over to the door and pulled the handle of the suitcase up.

"Okay. Let's go," he said.

*

Ren sat in a plastic bucket seat at JFK waiting for his flight. The pompous Paolo had woken him and demanded he get his ass on a plane to San Francisco. He barely had time to make the reservations and get to the airport before the flight. Why the hell did he have to travel across the country when there were perfectly good men in San Francisco? It was their problem, not his.

He eyed the crowd looking for his first meal. A handsome blond walked by with a swing in his hips and Ren got a whiff of his cologne. He was tall, muscular, and 30ish. Delish. He was the kind of man Ren would never have the courage to approach in a bar.

Getting up from his seat, Ren followed him. The blond walked into a gift shop that sold last minute souvenirs, paperbacks, and snacks. He picked up a shot glass with an 'I heart New York,' and a picture of the Empire State Building on it. "I think I have something you'll like better," he whispered in the man's ear.

The blond turned and looked at him. His eyes were fixed straight ahead and he stood ramrod straight. "You want to come with me," Ren commanded.

"Yes," he murmured.

"Follow me," he said and the man complied.

It didn't take long to find a section of the terminal closed off for construction. The workers had gone home for the evening so it was unlikely they would be disturbed. He had plenty of time to play with his dinner before the plane boarded.

Twenty minutes later Ren heard his flight called for boarding and he emerged from behind the partition dabbing the corners of his mouth. He hadn't drained the fellow. A dead body in the airport would cause alarm. Instead, he took what he needed from the man then planted the desire to remain hidden for the next thirty minutes.

The uncooperative wheels on his LV carry-on kept turning the wrong way and slowed him down as he headed to the gate. Nearing, he could see the line had formed and people were already handing their tickets to the flight attendant at the door.

A smile split Ren's face. "Well, well, well. How Serendipitous." Five couples back, Ethan and the missing Mariposa waited to board the plane. The plane to San Francisco. The same one he would be on.

__________

Author's Note: Thank you for reading, voting and commenting on my story. I can't express how much I appreciate your input. I am so grateful to have such wonderful followers.