Chapter 7.3 - Missing and The Clock Is Ticking

Missing: 29 1/2 hours. New York 6:30 a.m. - Umbria 11:30 a.m.

Benjamin sat in the Bentley, his eyes unfocused, staring at nothing. Roughly, he scrubbed a hand across his chin several times.

What the hell just happened!

Benjamin's heart pounded so hard against his chest his starched shirt fluttered slightly. He broke out in a cold sweat and started to shake. Undigested coffee burned a hole in his stomach. Raising a nervous hand, he turned the ignition off.

He had nearly witnessed the end of his life.

Gripping the steering wheel with both hands, Benjamin lowered his forehead while the adrenaline dump worked its way through his system. Someone almost killed him. He was seconds away from becoming a crime scene chalked outline. Should he call 911? His gut told him no. No one would believe him anyway. A nagging voice he had pushed to the back of his mind wouldn't be silence now. It told him he had spent too many years denying what he knew was true.

He raised his head and reached for the door latch to open it. Disbelief and denial battled for his emotions. Benjamin got out of the car on wobbly legs and made his way to the spot where the man had stood with a gun raised in his hands. The man had swung the automatic around and was about to pull the trigger when the woman's hand came down from overhead with some kind of weapon and stabbed him. The man went up in a cloud of smoke. The woman bent over the dust for a minute, and then she turned to look at him.

There was no mistaking her eyes. It was Olivia. She had reinvented herself again, but he recognized her. How could he not?

Benjamin stood over the pile of clothing covered in fine gray ash. He picked up a stick and pushed it around. A whiff of rotting flesh and death caught in his nose and he held his breath for a moment. He hooked the pants on the end of the stick and shook them, then did the same thing to the black shirt. His pockets were empty and the gun was missing. Olivia had probably taken it when he saw her lean over.

Olivia.

Regret was a hard road to travel. He had relived that last day with her a thousand times. Initially, he had been pissed. Of course. But now, he wished he had given her a chance to explain. Her letter had answered some of his questions. But the betrayal had hurt. Every time he remembered seeing that Cole guy plastered up against her, he was angry again. Over time, the anger had lessened though, and now he spent too many sleepless nights wishing he hadn't given into it. Maybe he should have fought for her. She had asked him not to contact her, and he had respected that request. He didn't want to admit it, but that was due to his stubbornness more than anything else.

And now today she had shown up at his house, in his backyard, after almost four years. Why?

Benjamin's world shifted off its axis.

Olivia had driven something into that man's heart. He couldn't believe he was considering it, but most likely that wasn't human--it was a vampire. Humans don't go poof when they die. Had he come to kill me? Benjamin wondered. Why would anyone want him dead? Perhaps Ethan knew what was going on. Benjamin hadn't spoken to him in years, but it was time to break that silence.

Benjamin carried the clothing remnants on the end of the stick and dropped them in the trashcan, mostly because they stunk. He climbed back into the car and pulled his cellphone out of his leather briefcase. He scrolled through his contacts, found Ethan's number, and placed the call.

"Benjamin," Ethan answered.

"Good morning. How are you?"

"Fine. You?"