The Encounter

ATHENA POV:

Today in Professor Lupins class, Ron, Hermione, Harry and I walk in to see a strange wardrobe in the middle of the room. Something's obviously in it because its shaking like crazy.  

"Hello class," Professor Lupin greets us and starts to explain to us what today's lesson is about. What's in the closet is a boggart. A boggart turns into your greatest fear if you get too close to it. He says that all we have to do is say "ridickulus!" and then it'll turn into something funny. He made us go one at a time, and I have to say, some of the fears were quite odd. When it was my turn, I braced myself. Before me rose the basilisk from the chamber of secrets, it's fangs bared menacingly. The others all step back, terrified as well.  

"Ridickulus!" I yell, but it has no effect. The snake comes closer. "Ridickulus!" I try again, but it doesn't work. "Ridickulus!" It's about to strike me when it works. The basilisk turns into a worm sized little snake and slithers away from me. No one in the crowd laughs and I go to the back of the line. I see Harry catch my eye, and he has a worried expression on his face. I bet he feels bad how he let me come with him into the chamber.  

"Are you okay?" Asks a concerned Malfoy from behind me.  

"Fine," I lie, shrugging his hand off of my shoulder. Pretty soon it's Harry's turn and everyone holds their breath. I think we know where this is going... But apparently not because the boggart takes the form of a dementor and flies towards Harry. Before Harry can cast the spell however, Professor Lupin steps in and performs it. Once he does, the boggart turns into the picture of a moon and I see Hermione looking at it quizzically. Who would be afraid of the moon? Oh well.

Everything is normal for the next couple months and pretty soon we're into April. We had the most amazing Care of Magical Creatures lesson with Hagrid. Harry got to ride a Hipogriff an I got to pet one! They're so sweet! We were all walking back from dinner when we ran into Malfoy. I rolled my eyes. Here comes the flirting!  

"Why don't you just save it, Malfoy," Harry say glaring and pulls me along to the common room. Malfoy just kind of stands there, watching us go, and I can't help but feel sorry for the guy. But I can't go back, Harry's got a strong grip on my wrist.  

"I can take care of myself, you know." I say when we get into the common room. "You don't have to be so...overprotective!" I flop down on the couch.  

"I am not overprotective!" He says, sitting next to me.  

"Oh yeah? Every time a boy says 'hi' to me you automatically pull me away! What's that all about?" He's silent for a second.  

"I don't know, okay?! I just don't want you going around dating some foul git!" He exclaims and my face turns red.  

"I can date who I want and it's none of your business!" I yell just as Hermione and Ron walk in. "Just lay off," I say and stomp up to my dormitory. I plop down on my bed with a book and read until Hermione comes in.  

"Harry says he's sorry, you know," she says and I shake my head.  

"He's not," I say and she sits on the bed next to me.  

"Look." She says seriously. "I know you and Harry really like each other. Don't deny it, it's just a fact. I see the way he looks at you and I see the way you look at him. It's like how Ron looks at the pudding they serve on weekends," we laugh at this. "But seriously. You and Harry have something special. You can't just deny it like he's doing. He just doesn't even know his own feelings yet." I think about this for awhile. Hermione yawns and says she's going to turn in, so I don't object. I lay there awake in bed for a while and realize I forgot my homework in the common room. I groan and get out of bed to go downstairs. I hear the portrait swing opened and I look to see who it is. I stop dead in my tracks and drop all my books, shaking. In front of me stands Sirius Black. At first he doesn't see me and starts heading up towards the boys dormitory to get Harry no doubt. And then I scream. He turns around and tries to shush me, but I scream even louder.  

"HELP IT'S SIRIUS BLACK!!!" I scream and hear footsteps come down the stairs. He looks at me but I take the lamp from the side table and throw it at him, screaming and crying out of fear. This man had killed so many people in his life time, and he was here to kill Harry. I just couldn't let that happen. The lamp drops next to him and shatters, glass spraying the both of us. He leaves just as Harry and Ron enter, and they look over to see his curly black hair disappear out of the portrait.  

"Sirius Black..." Ron mutters and I sink to my knees crying and shaking. I just faced the biggest murderer who escaped Azkaban and didn't die, but am now crying like a coward. I feel someone help me up and I cry and shake uncontrollably into their shoulder. It's Harry. Others come out of their dormitories and take in the situation. I feel Harry stroking my hair and sink deeper into him, trying to avoid the stares. Just then, Professor McGonagall walks in.  

"What is the meaning of all this racket?!" Everyone goes silent.  

"S-Sirius Black! He was here! He tried to go into the boys dormitory!" I cry and start shaking again. Harry puts a comforting hand on my shoulder. Professor McGonagall motions for Harry and I to follow her. My sobs echo through the deserted halls as Harry speaks comforting words.  

"It's okay, he's gone- he can't hurt you." Harry whispers in my ear and I sob a little bit less. I'm such a coward. I think what scared me the most was that he was going to kill Harry- he would've if I hadn't stopped him.