The Short Summer

ATHENA POV:

I sighed and plopped down on my bed, pulling out this week's copy of "The Daily Prophet". Harry and I had been in the paper quite a lot now because of the incident last year. We saved the Philosopher's stone. I feel a little but bad for Hermione and Ron, who were left out of the articles, but from their letters I could see they didn't mind. I had been sending owls back in forth between Hermione and Ron, but I hadn't been getting any back from Harry. This annoys me because (and this is hard for me to admit) I started to fancy Harry. Now I know it doesn't matter because I'd never tell him and I know he'd never like me back, but every girl has got to fancy someone, right? Flipping through the articles, I could see there were none about me or Harry. I smile. I had been getting tired of the publicity...

Months flew by faster than a snitch. Pretty soon it was nearing the end of August, and I was waiting for my letter from Hogwarts. Just as I had expected, an owl came flying through the window I had left open carrying a letter. It was the usual acceptance letter, but this time it had a new list of supplies. I found it strange, however, that all the books we were purchasing were written by Gilderoy Lockheart. My heart melted at the mention of his name, but I shook it off almost at once. SO not going to happen, Athena.

Uncle Aberfourth and I made our way through the crowded streets of Diagon Alley. I looked around for a familiar face but saw none in the crowd. I sighed. I had been hoping to catch a glimpse of jet black hair in this crowd (which is Harry in case you were wondering). There was a giant line in front of "Flourish and Blott's" so I went to check it out. I immediately ran into someone.  

"Sorry," I said, but it took me a second to recognize the bushy, brown hair and buck toothed grin. "Hermione!" I said, jumping up and down and she did the same. As her parents talked with Uncle Aberfourth, Hermione and I were discussing our summers. "I just basically wrote you guys and that's about it," I say and zone out while Hermione tells me a story about going to some muggle country. Once she's done, I ask: "Has Harry been answering your letters?" She shakes her head.  

"Strange isn't it? He promised he'd write..." Just as we got on the topic of him, Harry shows up out of the blue, covered in dust and cracked glasses.  

"Harry!" Hermione and I say in unison and hug him. Ron shows up later and we do the same thing to him.  

"Harry, what happened?" I ask and he shrugs.  

"It was my first time using floo powder," he says honestly and I giggle.  

"I completely understand! First time I used it, I got lost in some random wizards house. The lady thought I was trying to rob her." We all burst into laughter and Ron's mom walks over.  

"And who might you dears be?" She asks with a smile. We introduce ourselves politely. "Oh so you're Hermione and Athena! Ron and Harry told me about you!" Harry and Ron both blush, but Hermione and I laugh at this. "Well I'd better be off dearies, Gilderoy Lockheart is having a book signing!" She gives one last excited squeal and heads off.  

The rest of the time, the four of us wander around talking. We bought some ice cream (courtesy of Harry) and checked out the new Nimbus 2001! It's so cool! I wish I could have one... Anyways, the only eventful thing that happened today was Gilderoy Lockheart spotting me and Harry and pulling us onto the little stage to get a picture. He also gave us each a set of free books, which was kind of embarrassing. We also had a quick encounter with Draco Malfoy, who was Harry's nemesis. I had never really been around to see him taunt Harry...until now...  

"Can't pass up an opportunity to be the center of attention, huh Potter?" He asks and we all scowl at him. His eyes flash past Hermione and Ron and land on me. His scowl turns into a smirk. "Athena Dumbledore, is it? Why spend all your time with these losers?" I clench my fists and Harry looks like he could strangle someone. Malfoy puts a finger under my chin and smiles. "Feel free to join me anytime." I bat his hand away, give a 'hmph!' and walk away. How could Malfoy fancy me?! The thought sends shivers down my spine. A few minutes later, the others come out, looking infuriated.  

"Git," Ron mutters and I giggle.  

"I can't believe Malfoy fancies you," Hermione says and Ron pretends to throw up. Harry just stands there, looking like he wants to punch a hole in the wall. Uncle Aberfourth soon comes and tells me I have to leave. I say goodbye to everyone and head out for Hogwarts. I'm about to stay there a week in advanced...again! We apparate and I feel so glad to see the giant castle.  

"Welcome home," I mutter to myself and start on the path, Uncle Aberfourth right behind me.