Home at Last

ATHENA POV:

Once again Professor McGonagall let me lead in the crowd of anxious first years. There was a girl at the front I recognized to be Ginny Weasley; Ron's sister. I hadn't seen Ron, Hermione, or Harry yet, and I was getting a little bit worried. I gave the first years the same little speech, and there again was a kid who mentioned I was a little young. I just ignored it this time and led them into the hall. There I saw Hermione waiting for me, but no sign of Harry or Ron.  

"You didn't find them either?" I asked as I sat down and she shook her head. Where could they be?  

The feast is just as it was last year, but I'm looking at it from a different perspective. Everything is familiar to me, and it's weird not having everything so new. Halfway through the meal, I could've sworn I saw a car go flying by the great hall window. Great, I'm starting to see things...  

At the very end of the feast, Harry and Ron burst through the doors. I motion for them to come sit over here.  

"Where have you two been?" Hermione asks worriedly and they tell us this weird story. Apparently the barrier was closed when they tried to get through and they had to use their parent's flying car.  

"I'm in sooo much trouble," Ron complains putting his head in his hands. Just then, a rather old looking owl flies through the window and drops a red letter in front of Ron.  

"Is that a howler?" I asks and Ron nods.  

"You'd better open it before it explodes!" Neville, a squeamish boy in our grade says and Ron does. Big mistake. It starts yelling in his mothers voice about taking the flying car, exposing magic, etc.. At the end it congratulates Ginny on getting Gryffindor and then rips itself in half, dissolving in thin air. The great hall bursts into laughter and we attempt to comfort Ron, who is clearly shaken.  

"Hey Athena," Hermione whispers. "Malfoys making googley eyes at you." She points towards the Slytherin table and I see she's right, but Malfoy looks down at his feet blushing when he sees me look over. I blush also and giggle. Harry looks to Malfoy, then to me and makes an odd face. Is he.....jealous? No, he can't be. He doesn't fancy me, does he? Hermione looks from me to Harry and smiles to herself, shaking her head. Great. She knows.

The common room is crowded like it usually is as we all sit down. Harry and Ron have been on a rant about Malfoy because he apparently confronted them after the feast asking if they could help him get closer to me. Ewww!! 

"I can't believe he'd say that! Does he suddenly think we're all 'buddies' now??" Ron says.  

"The git. We're obviously NOT going to help him!" Harry makes a strange grunting noise and plops down on a chair across from me.  

"Would you guys just drop it please?" I plead and they both agree.  

"I'm just saying, how could Malfoy like you?!" Harry questions and my face turns red.  

"And what is that supposed to mean?" I ask him and he realizes what he just said.  

"I don't know...it's just..." I stop him.  

"You know, Harry," I say standing up. "Just because YOU don't fancy me doesn't mean other boys can't!" And with that I storm out of the room leaving them speechless. I have that effect on people. I flop down on my bed and immediately burst into tears. How could Harry be such a jerk?! I can hear Hermione yelling something at them downstairs before she comes in and sits down on the bed. I wipe away some of my tears, hoping she won't notice.  

"Harry's just a dumb boy, Athena, don't worry about it," she says and I nod. But I'm still not convinced. "He doesn't get that you fancy him and-" I sit bolt upright.  

"I do not fancy Harry!" I yell and she raises her eyebrows. I flop back down, defeated. "Fine. I do." I admit. "But so what? He doesn't like me back." Hermione makes a weird face.  

"I'm not so sure about that. I saw him get all jealous when we looked over at Malfoy and when Malfoy was flirting with you at the store. I think he does fancy you, but he's too dumb to know it," she says and gives me a smile. She has a point, but I'm not convinced. I don't even need Harry to like me, we're too young for dating. "Now I'm going to turn in, so i'll see you tomorrow!" She says and goes to change. I don't even bother to change into my pajamas, I just go to sleep with all my clothes on. Could Harry fancy me? There's no way to tell. I guess I'll have to wait and see...