Chapter 11

There was nothing like almost stepping in dog crap on an early summer's day.

People these days too lazy to even pick up after their own dog...

I was out walking in the first place, because my dad has to be one of the most unorganized people in the world, so we had absolutely no food for breakfast in our house. Unless you counted butter and expired milk- I didn't.

He was out for work, and Aaron was attending a gymnastics camp with his younger sister after they called him asking for some help, so I had no car. My dad should have listened to me when I said I needed one, but no. Because I could always borrow his, right? Apparently wrong.

I didn't mind the walk though. The sun was up and the sky was blue, so I really should stop complaining. Brooklyn told me about this cute little café in town right next to the convenience store. It was popular with teens because of the modern look compared to the rustic one the rest of the town seemed to have.

The windows were covered in chocolate colored swirls, bushes growing up the side. I pushed on the door and heard a little bell ring, my nose being invaded by the smell of fresh baked delicacies and coffee. I almost didn't notice the group of girls standing by the counter. Almost.

"I swear ! He was looking right at me." Her slightly annoying voice was hard to forget, and I could feel myself turning around before they could notice me. The bell chimed again, sounding much louder than before, but I was gone.

Obviously I would see Taylor again, especially when senior year started this fall. But I wasn't exactly ready to face up to her in a small café surrounded by her friends. That didn't seem fair in the least if things turned out ugly.

My stomach growled reminding me I still hadn't eaten yet. The cafe was my only plan and I was beginning to feel hopeless. My purse bumped lightly against my hip as I walked in a random direction, passing banks and boutiques, everything but stores containing food.

The farther I got, I realized that it looked familiar. All of these places, trees, mocking my memory. Taunting me. I couldn't place it though, not until I saw the gravel road. Oh.

It was the road to The Demon Bite.

I should have recognized the path sooner; I mean it's only been about a week since James brought me to this same place.

The diner was open, that much I was sure of as I could see the cars lined up outside. Whether or not I was going to go inside that I wasn't so sure of. I was starving, and the food there was good. Excellent, actually. But I hadn't called James to give me a ride someplace because I was kind of trying to avoid him.

He has been driving Aaron and I to Brooklyn's a lot, and then there was that time he picked me up after I ran away... The point is that I don't want to be a burden. I need to sort my feelings first and do some things independently, because I didn't need his help. I didn't.

Maybe he wouldn't be working today though. He said he only did odd shifts here and there but he never really had a schedule.

In the end my hunger won. I took a deep breath and opened the door, again breathing in heavenly scents. It was fairly busy in here, and I could see Rosalind running around behind the counter. I didn't want to interrupt her while she was working, so maybe I'd say hi on the way out.

Most of the booths were taken, so I ended up taking a two person table off to the side of the room. I could hear a little girl laughing loudly at her older brother who was making silly faces at her. They looked so happy.

"May I take your order, beautiful Madame?"

I looked up to see a head full of shaggy blond hair smiling down at me. He looked around my age, but there was no way to be sure because his hair was all in his face.