Chapter 8

17. I was 17.

It felt funny to even say that; almost like how everyone always asked if you felt different on your birthday, but you never did.

  Today wouldn’t be a day for celebrating, especially since I hadn’t told anybody. Obviously my dad knew and had called out a quick ‘happy birthday!’, before leaving for work. I couldn’t help but wonder if Sandra was thinking about me today. The thought was erased before I could ponder about it much longer. She probably didn’t remember; me, or my birthday.

  The sky was covered with dark grey clouds and humidity filled the air, giving us a warning of rain to come. It was the last day of school before exams next week, and although it was odd to have that on a Wednesday, I’m sure everyone was excited anyways.

  It started in Mr. Smith’s history class. The sky cracked open, and rain came pouring out in           bucketful’s. Thunder roared in the distance, and everyone’s eyes were glued to the window as lightning tore through it all.

“Everyone, listen up! It’s just a little storm, nothing we haven’t seen before. On the contrary, we haven’t seen the battles of ancient Rome…” Mr. Smith continued on, but I doubted anyone was listening. He was desperate to give us one last lesson before classes were finished, hence the roman activity sheet on the last real school day.

  The whispers grew louder as the lightning came closer. Then it happened.

All the school’s power shut off, leaving some screaming, while others erupted into laughter. The darkness outside made it close to pitch black. I could just barely make out Hannah sitting next to me.

  “No one go anywhere, I’m going to go talk to the other teachers.” Mr. Smith shut the door firmly behind him, and I lead Hannah over to where I remembered Brooklyn and Aaron were.

“This better not ruin our plans,” Brooklyn whispered, to someone.

“It won’t.” Aaron.

  “What plans?” I asked, wondering what they were doing without me. I usually wasn’t the jealous type, but I guess today must be a touchy day.

“Oh. Nothing.” They seemed flustered, but lucky for them, Mr. Smith came back in the classroom then.

  “Looks like we’re going to stay here until the storm lets up, so we will be in the cafeteria until then.” Everyone sighed at the thought of being stuck with all their teachers on the last day of classes. I didn’t get why we couldn’t just go home.

***

  “Hello fellow cellmates, and how are you doing on this fine day?” James propped himself up on the stage beside me, where all of us and Hannah were sitting.

  “Just wonderful, were not freezing our butts off and the weather is definitely improving,” Aaron said, sarcasm dripping from his words.

  Although it was summer, it was particularly cold outside, and the same went for inside with no lighting or heat. The storm wasn’t getting better; in fact if anything, it was worse. I was slightly shivering in my t-shirt and shorts, as were Hannah and Aaron. Brooklyn was the first to get cold, and he donated his sweater to her.

  “I saw a few seniors sneaking out the back door a little while back, they are so smart.” Hannah was looking out the window in longing as Brooklyn chuckled,

“Yeah, now that they know people are leaving, Mr. Smith has his eyes constantly scanning the room.”

  I felt something warm drape over my shoulders and looked up to see James giving his sweater to me. I hadn't realized how violently I was shivering. He was smiling big, that contagious smile of his.