Chapter 10

I barely got any sleep that night; I just couldn't shut my brain down. The conversation between James and I kept sneaking back into my thoughts. James kept sneaking back into my thoughts. I tried to shake it all off, because it was all non-sense. But that kiss...I couldn't forget it. His dark, slightly curly hair, his wide jaw, and not to mention those chocolaty eyes I could get lost in...

I had to stop thinking like this. It was just a kiss; I mean he couldn't possibly like me. I should be thinking about more important things like... my dad being slightly pissed last night. I could tell he didn't like to get mad at me, otherwise he would have been more than slightly angry. I think the conversation went something like this,

"Where have you been? It's been an hour since I called you to come home!" (He gave me his angry face where his eyebrows go all funny)

"I had to say goodbye to everyone! I couldn't just run out of the room like the building was on fire." I gave him a puppy dog look somewhere around here.

"Ok, I'm sorry. Next time try to be a little quicker about it though. And who was that dropping you off?"

"My stalker."

"What?!" his eyes bulged out of his head and I suppressed a laugh, knowing I would be in so much trouble.

"Dad, I'm just kidding. It was James, he was the one who helped Aaron and Brooklyn with my party, remember? He came to the hospital today."

"Oh... That was not funny Skylar. Just, go get some rest or something," He muttered and walked away, rubbing his forehead.

My dad had basically avoided me all morning, which was fine with me, because James was going to be here any minute. As if on cue, I could hear a car door closing outside, and I looked down once again at my outfit. It was just jeans, a t-shirt and my black converse, what I would normally wear. But I started to doubt if it actually looked good. No- I didn't care about what I wore, so screw it.

A tentative knock sounded at the door as I rushed down the hallway to answer it before my father.

James was smiling as I opened the door, "Ready to go?" I nodded and shut the door firmly behind me. We went and grabbed Aaron before heading off to the hospital, the route becoming lodged into my memory.

As soon as we entered the sliding doors of the hospital, two hands grabbed each of my own, and I looked over to see they were both holding my hands. I felt warm inside as we made our way up onto Brooklyn's floor, not feeling scared once. Both of her parents were there today, looking slightly worried.

"What's going on?" Aaron asked, an edge clear on his voice as we all walked over to Brooklyn's bed.

"She's in pain, but the doctors won't give her drugs for another hour," David said through clenched teeth. Sure enough, Brooklyn was looking pale, more so than before and holding her stomach. "She's been throwing up since this morning, not keeping much down."

Every day was different. Some days it would be a good day, others...not so much. On the good days you almost forgot why she was here in the first place. On the bad ones you knew all too well.

It went on for another few days after that day. James came, and drove Aaron and I everyday, seeming like he wanted to come. We hadn't kissed again, nor had anything else happened. Everyone was busy worrying when they would finally let her out of the hospital. On Tuesday, they finally did.

Aaron was the one to wheel her out, and we were all present to view her smile as she finally got to look up into the sunny sky. David had the car pulled up in the pick up section so it wouldn't be a far walk to the car. All three guys helped get Brooklyn out of her wheelchair and into the backseat. She didn't need that much help considering the weight loss, one person would have sufficed, but it was nice to see everyone helping out.