Chapter 7

Thanks for your patience! I had a little case of writers block, and finally got over it. Love you all! -Sarah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Where am I? I was in a massive pink bedroom, bookshelves and posters of bands covering the length of the walls. Then I remembered everything from last night, making a face somewhere in between a frown and a smile. Getting out of bed I explored my way through the hallways, and came down the grand staircase.

I ended up in the kitchen with still no site of anyone. James was probably asleep. Well this is a tad awkward. Do you know the feeling when you're sleeping over at a friend's house, and you're the first one up? You don't know what to do, especially since it's not your house. Well that was how I was feeling now.

I certainly couldn't cook anything; I didn't want to set the house on fire. And I couldn't just leave, that would be rude. So instead I plopped down in front of the TV, scrolling through their many channels and never settling on one show.

I was in the middle of a repeat from Degrassi when I heard the front door swing open. I froze, looking down at Kristen's PJ's, that I wore. His parents can't be home now! I jumped up from the couch smoothing out every wrinkle and flattening my hair, hoping to make this better.

But instead of angry, disappointed parents coming through the living room door, there was James.

He was wearing a black tank top and shorts, his IPod in his hand and slightly sweating. My hand came to my heart and I fell back onto the couch.

"Hey, I just went for a run. I couldn't get back to sleep, but you seemed freaked to see me...?" He said confused.

"I thought that was your parents! That scared me! What would they think of me if it were!?" My eyes snuck a peek at his arms; his muscles were defined but not scary big. Stop that! I couldn't afford to think like this, and James and I were just friends.

"Well it was just me; trust me they don't come early anyways. And sorry for ditching, I just needed to do that." He smiled hoping to get me back on his side.

"Alright- I understand. I just thought of the worse I guess. And go have a shower, you stink!" I waved my hand in front of my nose jokingly, and lightly pushed him away.

"Ha, ha, very funny.", But he obeyed, smiling on his way up the steps. Meanwhile I changed back into my old clothes that were sitting in a pile on Kristen's bed, dry. He must have run them through the dryer last night.

While he showered, I walked around the house soaking in every detail. There were tons of pictures of Kristen and James when they were younger, but then none of James for a while. Kristen's kept on going, but there was no evidence of James. Even after that, they framed everything of Kristen's, but I saw none of his accomplishments on the wall.

I remembered what he said about his sister helping him get through life with his parents, I wondered if this is what he meant. How could they neglect one of their children? Well, my mother seemed to be in on their little secret on the how-to's.

Great minds think alike?

James pulled in to my driveway, despite my special instructions not to. I told him to let me walk, drop me off at the end of the street, at the end of the driveway, anywhere but in the driveway. But did he listen? No.

My dad was going to have a fit, knowing not only that not only did I stay out all night, but that I was with a boy. James squeezed my hand. "Do you want me to come in with you?"

"No, but thanks anyways." I reluctantly opened the car door, and gave him one last fleeting glance before closing it behind me. My feet trudged along the pavement, waiting for the sound of a car taking off before having to face the inevitable.