Seven

"And he didn't even try to kiss you?" Jasper asked. "I'm so ashamed. I thought I taught him better than that."

Theresa couldn't help but giggle softly; her cheeks were slightly flushed. "Leave him alone, Jasper!" she exclaimed. "The poor guy was so nervous."

"I mean...I don't wanna say I told you so, but..." he started to say, glancing over at Theresa with the hint of a smirk on his face.

"You're so annoying," she said jokingly.

"But you love me," he added, leaning over and resting his head on her shoulder.

"Get off of me," she said, unable to keep herself from smiling.

"So, when's the first date?" he asked, continuing to pry.

"Not sure. I mean, I don't want to do anything too big you know? I'm not into that. I was thinking of just...heading to the observation deck. That'd be fun, don't you think?"

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, but we always go there."

"Sorry to break it to you, pal, but you're not invited this time!" she exclaimed, chuckling softly.

"I'm just saying," he cut in quickly, "he might want to do something special. And what do you mean I'm not invited?! I'm the life of the party!"

She broke out into a fit of laughter, and Jasper smiled at her, laughing along. "I promise we'll invite you next time."

"You better! Monty would have never gotten the balls to ask you out if I wouldn't have introduced you to him."

Theresa's smile faded as she thought of Jasper's words. What could he possibly mean by that?

---

She laid there, bandaged up and clothed in a new shirt. Bellamy sat beside her, still holding her hand as Theresa fought to stay conscious. Abby had left fifteen minutes earlier, and she told Theresa to try and get some rest, but Theresa was too afraid to fall asleep. She feared that Kane would come back for her to finish the job, or she would wake up inside that makeshift prison again, sitting across from Murphy.

"T?" Bellamy called out to her, calling her by the nickname that Jasper gave to her.

She looked at him, tears forming in her eyes from the excruciating pain she felt.

"You really need to rest," he told her.

"I don't want to," she whispered weakly.

Bellamy sighed. "Come on, you're not gonna get any better if you don't rest."

Her eyes glanced over at the entrance to the tent, and Bellamy could see the fear in her eyes. She didn't have to say anything for Bellamy to know what she was thinking.

"You're okay," he assured her, gently guiding her face to look at him. "He's not coming. You're staying right here."

A tear rolled down her cheek as she whispered, "I'm scared."

Bellamy brushed a piece of hair out of her face. "I'll stay here with you, okay? I'll make sure no one bothers you."

"Why?"

Bellamy scrunched his brow in confusion. "Why what?" he asked in reply.

"Why did you stay?" she clarified.

"Because you asked me to."

Another tear rolled down her cheek as she began to cry harder. "You hate me," she whispered, unable
to hide the hurt in her voice.

"I don't hate you," he said.

"You said I lied to you--" she started to say.

"Sh-h-h," he interrupted her. "Close your eyes. I'm right here; I'm staying."

"Bellamy," she said.

But Bellamy wouldn't respond. He loosely held onto her hand. Soon, Theresa gave up trying to get Bellamy's attention, and the need for sleep was too strong for her to ignore any longer. Her eyes closed and she fell into a deep sleep.

---

Monty was sweating. His palms were sweaty. This wasn't the first time they had hung out alone, and it certainly wasn't the first time they had held hands. But things were so different now. This wasn't just hanging out -- this was a date.

Monty led the way through the Ark, having not told Theresa where they were going. She thought they were headed for the observation deck, but Jasper had hinted at something else. As to what he hinted at, she had no idea.

They walked up to a door -- the door to Monty's living quarters. He turned and looked at her with a smile on his face. "I managed to get the place to myself tonight. Mom and Dad are working overtime," he said.

The idea of spending alone time with Monty in his living quarters made Theresa suddenly nervous. She slipped her hand out of his and held her own hand.

The smile on his face disappeared and he asked, "What? What is it?"

"Monty, I don't know about this. I...I've never--" she started.

His eyes widened and he started shaking his head, his cheeks flushing. "N-n-n-no!" he stutterered. "No, it's not like that! Here, see?" He struggled to open the door, but when he did, Theresa saw a blanket spread out on the floor, flowers, and two small plates with food on them.

"Monty..." she said softly, covering her mouth with her hand.

"I made dinner," he said, smiling nervously.

She hesitated then let her hand rest by her side before lacing their fingers together. She looked over at him with a smile and said to him, "It's perfect."