"You really have no opinions?" Merek asked as they returned to the barracks.

Jade shrugged, "I have plenty of opinions, but non that is relevant at the moment."

"Fair enough," Merek smiled and pushed Jade light his elbow. She returned the gesture and then came to attention as they came into view of the men. They had moved onto more difficult executions that Sir Ariston called out. The sun grew hotter and everyone was soon sweating threw their shirts. Sir Ariston moved to stand with Reiner after a time.

"Not a bad looking group of men my prince," he said and folded his arms. His eyes never left the men. "Each of them looks to be fine soldiers."

Reiner nodded. "That's a good thing and a bad thing. It doesn't make my decision any easier."

Sir Ariston chuckled, "No I say it doesn't. Is there anything you'd like to see from them before we call it quits for the afternoon?"

Reiner looked at Lander, Merek, and Jade questioning and they shook their heads. Sir Ariston nodded and shouted loudly and moved off to address the men. He was firm but also encouraging; the men all looked pleased and then move off to the barracks where they were temporarily housed while they were under Reiner's scrutiny. The men had been told they were in choosing for a special draft, no details were given but rumors spread in the court like wildfire, so naturally everyone knew in some manner or another that they were being weeded for Reiner's personal guard.

As the men disappeared into the barracks and Sir Ariston returned, Jade finally took a breath and formed solid words for the thoughts that had been fluttering around her mind. "If I might speak my mind now?" Jade asked.

"Please," Reiner said, clearly excited for Jade's thoughts. The other looked at her expectantly.

"I mean no disrespect of course, but this is pointless," she said plainly. "These men are soldiers, adequate enough with a sword as we've seen today. If they weren't, I have doubts that they would have made it into the army yes?" Jade got a nodded confirmation from Lander. "I suggest we approach this differently, and I guarantee that in a week we will have a solid idea of who we wish to keep and who we do not."

"Please enlighten us," Sir Ariston sounded skeptical and Jade couldn't blame him. But Jade kept her head and carefully articulated the idea that had been growing throughout the day. The men each listened carefully. "Do I have you permission to take this over?" Jade asked Reiner but she also looked at Sir Ariston, she didn't wish to step on his toes with the command.

"You think you can do this?" Reiner asked.

She nodded, "I do. I think it will work better than how I'm explaining."

"Then you have my permission. Sir Ariston, you will work with Jade and make sure she gets everything she needs," Reiner said.

"Of course," Sir Ariston bowed his head. Jade remained with him while Reiner returned to the palace with Phantom, Lander, and Merek.

"So where would you like to start, lass?" Sir Ariston asked. Jade knew he meant no disrespect with the name and did not move to correct him. She smiled instead and told him what she specifically had in mind. Sir Ariston took Jade's requests and sent messages to the necessary people and together they worked late into the evening pouring over a map and planning out the details.

"If this works I think you might have just created a new regiment of training to be added to the army," Sir Ariston admitted. "This is quite ingenious."