Chapter 17

•Wednesday Night•
"Mama, I'm home"

No answer.

"Ma" I yelled again.

Again, No answer.

I threw my ball on the couch and traveled to the fridge, I popped open a blue Gatorade and drank it as it cooled down my dry throat. God that was good!

But where's mom?

I closed the fridge and a bright yellow note caught my eye. I ripped it off and recognized my moms handwriting and went on to read.

Hey sweetie just wanted to let you know I'm gonna be working late again tonight so lock up if you leave. I love you and stay safe~mom

I crumpled up the note and threw it in the trash. This wasn't anything new. My mom always has these late shifts at work and I know she does it so we could keep living the good life she's always wanted for us. I will always appreciate what she's done and sacrificed for me over the years because that's my mom and she is the most important person in my life. I just wish she was there for more stuff you know, like basketball. I mean my mom knows I play but she's never actually sit down in the stands and watch me play. Some teenagers think about getting their first kiss in pouring rain or buying their first car as the ultimate dream. But mine is a little simpler, at one game, just at that final countdown on the clock, I wanna look up in the stands and see my mom there cheering me on, smiling, I wanna see her face flush with excitement and happiness as I make that last shot. Idc if we win or lose that day because just knowing she was there even for at least one game and one moment would electrify a smile on my face for years to come.

Though that's just a dream, I don't expect it to actually come true. This ain't no Disney movie.

I sat down on the couch and flipped through a couple channels. I finally settled on watching wild n' out. After a couple minutes I checked the time on the clock.

" oh shit 6:59" I yawned as I got up. " gotta get dressed."

I walked up the stairs and entered my room heading towards the shower with a towel. After I showered I wrapped the towel around my waist and got out, walking to my closet to file through the many clothes I had.

I decided on some khaki jeans and a red shirt with my Air Force 1s. I added a gold chain and some bands on my wrist as I fluffed out my hair with some baby oil.

" looking good Perez" I said looking in the mirror.

Tonight jasmine and i were supposed to hangout. She said earlier at school that she wanted Krispy Cream so I figured I would take her there later on.

I sat on my bed and looked at the time 7:20 okay but why wasn't jasmine calling me? She would've been blowing up my phone asking where I was by now. Alright maybe I should call her then.

So I did, but it went straight to voicemail.

I tried again and it did the same thing.

What the heck! Jasmine would've called me back by now especially if she saw any missed calls from me. I was getting kinda worried now because this was nothing like her.

Okay one more time I thought as I dialed her number again.

I paced across my room. " c'mon jas, c'mon"

" hello" I heard a voice say through the phone.

" yeah jas, it's me" I said scratching the back of my neck. I heard her breath heavy; like panting through the phone. " jasmine you okay"

" shhh, stop" I heard being faintly whispered in the background.

Is she talking to me?

" yeah um hello, who is this again?" I heard her say with annoyance in her voice.