Chapter Twenty-Seven: Gone

When Clary finally came to, everybody was pressed up against the walls like they were glued there. Sebastian was standing in front of the closed door, his eyes narrowed to hostile slits.
Clary sat up, looking at them. Jace, Simon, Izzy, and Alec all had panic written on their faces, and they wouldn't move.
They opened and closed their mouths as if they were speaking, but they wouldn't make sound.
Or couldn't they?
"Let them go," she demanded Sebastian. He chuckled.
"That would be foolish of me. Of course I could defeat all of you in a fight, but why give you any advantage?"
Breath hissed between her teeth. "At least let them speak."
Sebastian sighed and rolled his eyes, flicking his hand in the air. It was like a rush of air and voices filled the room as the silence runes were removed from them. Everybody was talking at once, and she couldn't make anything out.
Except for Jace. He was telling her to run.
Clary turned to him calmly and looked him dead in the eyes. She shook her head, and they all fell silent.
There was no way she would try to escape. No way in hell.
"Give me a sword."
Sebastian laughed once again. "Why should I?"
"Make it a fair fight. I want to go down swinging."
He shrugged his shoulders and reached into his belt, throwing a short-sword to her hilt first. Clary caught it in her grimy hand, feeling the grip of it. Having a weapon at long last was pretty comforting.
"Fight me."
Sebastian swung at her. The room was filled with protests from Clary's friends, but she was deaf to them. She had to finish this for good.
She met his arch with her own sword, filling the dank air with the clash of metal. Sebastian's eyebrows went up, but he wasn't really impressed. Not yet.
They swung and swung at each other, each time with no advance. Clary was starting to worry- her already aching body would hold up much longer. But then she remembered-
You have my blessing and gift with you, do not fear. Have faith in heaven's power, and mine.
Without hesitation Clary channeled all her thoughts toward heaven, hoping and praying. And this time she knew the name of her angel.
At first it was barely noticeable. Maybe it could have been blamed on the lighting. But soon the warm glow, starting in Clary's hands, spread over her body and to the tip of her sword. The light went from gold to white, making even Sebastian shrink away from its brightness. She could feel the power in her veins like fire; powerful flames like liquid energy and strength. She advanced faster on her demonic brother than ever before, slashing and swiping and delivering blows.
The first time she cut him with the blazing sword he screamed. But Clary did not slow at all- she only fought harder. Carelessly, Sebastian forgot to protect himself, giving Clary the perfect opening. She drove the blade into his ribcage and watched him burn to ashes.
And like that, the glorious fire was gone.
Clary sank to the ground with the weight of her sudden exhaustion. The room was completely silent for a moment.
Then she heard urgent footsteps. Though her vision was blurred, she knew the amber aura in front of her could only be Jace.
"What was... That?"
Clary shook her head. "I can't explain right now."
"Let me help you, then." Jace set his steele to her arm, drawing several iratzes. Clary's vision cleared and her mind began to focus.
Eventually they helped her stand up. "Stay here," she commanded Jace and the others.
"We are not letting you out of our sight," Simon argued.
"Please," she said, and something in her voice convinced them. "I need to do something."
She took what she needed from them and left without another word.
• • •
The dungeon was even darker than before. It seemed to be devoid of all light, but for the witch stone she had taken from Alec before leaving.
Lewis was still hunched in his corner with his head held low. When he heard her footsteps, though, he looked up at her.
"Clary," he said, hazel eyes intently focusing on her.
"Hi, Lewis," she replied, smiling at him. He returned it with ease.
"I need something from you- one last connection."
He nodded. "Of course."
"You... You know we defeated Sebastian, don't you?"
"Yes," he replied. "My shackles have come undone. I'm afraid there's nothing I can do about the force field, though." He nodded toward the invisible prison sadly.
"I'll help."
Clary drew a stele from her belt (it felt great to be prepared once again) and interrupted the string of dark runes surrounding Lewis with one of her own. In moments, the charm was lifted and he was free.
She helped Lewis stand as he took a deep breath and stepped out of the corner.
He looked Clary in the eyes now, smiling brightly and happily. His dark wings unfolded, reaching their full span and stretching as if they were tired from being cramped. It felt strange standing next to Lewis; he was only a couple of inches taller than Clary, and she was incredibly short.
It was then that she became very aware that they were still holding hands.
"Thank you. You have no idea what it was like being held captive. I just... Thank you."
Clary grinned even wider. "Of course, Lewis. Of course I would do that."
"There's something I should tell you," he blurted out, looking completely serious now.
"What is it?" She asked curiously.
"Clary... I'm in love with you."
They were both silent. A part of Clary had seen this coming, but hearing the words out loud was completely baffling in itself. She opened her mouth to speak, then closed it again.
And then she kissed him.
It was obvious how much it surprised him. Lewis was tense and stiff, but in a brief moment his muscles relaxed. His hands rested on Clary's hips gently. She could feel the stubble on his chin tickling her whenever they moved, which made her giggle into his mouth. He smiled against her.
Clary wrapped her hands around the back of his neck, leaning into the kiss. But just as Lewis began to part her lips, she drew away.
Clary gently took her hands away from his skin, then removed his hands from her waist slowly. "I'm sorry, Lewis."
"But- you- why...?" He stuttered, looking stunned.
"You aren't staying here," Clary said.
"What do you mean?" He asked, finding his voice once again.
"I need to see my guardian angel. Please."
Everything went black.

She was there, just the same as last time. But this meeting was shorter.

When Clary came back to, Lewis was standing there just as he had been before. "You're really doing this, aren't you." He said, dead serious. Clary didn't answer since it wasn't a question.
The ceiling disappeared to reveal the heavenly glow from above. Clouds filled the sky. Clary could hear Thnks Fr Th Mmrs playing. Four other men dressed in white tuxedos held out their arms, two singing (was that Elton John?), one playing drums, and one on guitar. They all had white, angelic wings.
"It was nice knowing you, Clary," Lewis said. "Oh, and by the way, my real name is Pete. Pete Wentz."
He rose up in the air, his wings flapping. As he Wentz higher, they turned white. He settled on a cloud with his band mates just as the song finished, picked up his bass, and they started the next song.
Elton sat at the white grand piano and began playing Save Rock and Roll. Choirs of angels joined in the joyful song as they reunited with their long lost bassist.
With one blinding blast of light, the scene was gone and Clary was in the dark dungeon again.
But she was not alone.
The little girl was there, no longer with her wings. She looked like an ordinary six or seven year old girl, with long white hair and stunningly green eyes. Clary fell to her knees and hugged her close, tears streaming down her face.
"I missed you. I missed you so much, Seraphina."