Chapter Eleven: Starting Again

By the end of the week, Jace and Clary had packed their bags and made the preparations for returning to the Herondale manor. In addition, they had made a few other plans.
Walking into the kitchen, hand-in-hand, they saw a bustling group of people making breakfast. Jocelyn tended to the scrambled eggs, Magnus and Alec fried bacon, and Mayrse made French toast,
and Izzy was buttering toast. Luke had parked himself on one of the wooden chairs, watching the chaos from a comfortable distance.
"Woah, what is all of this about?" Clary asked over the ruckus.
"Since you two are leaving, we decided to make a great big "going-away" breakfast," Izzy explained. "Of course you must to visit us in Alicante, but for those of us staying in New York..."
Clary's mom gave her a sad but understanding look, but she smiled back happily. "Actually, it may not be very long until we all see each other again."
Jace looked down at her, questioningly. But she nodded, confirming that now was the time to tell the others.
"What do you mean?" Isabelle asked.
Clary flashed her eyes up at Jace. You can tell. He held her gaze for a moment, and then grinned. Looking back toward the group, he said, "We've set a date for the wedding."
It was all quite exciting from there on. Izzy squealed, pulling Clary and Jace each into a hug. Jocelyn smiled warmly, and embraced both of them. Magnus seemed to regard the matter calmly, as if he had seen many weddings come and go (which he had), but looked happy nonetheless. Mayrse didn't say much, seeming glad for the couple in a quiet way. After all, she had recently gotten divorced, but that didn't mean she doubted Clary and Jace's love any less. As for the other men, they looked surprised to say the least. Eventually Luke and Alec came around and joined the embracing.
"So when's it going to be?" Her mom asked.
"We decided on July 30th," Clary explained. "Jace said Idris is really beautiful that time of year, and we'd like to have an outdoor service at the Herondale manor."
"Oh, Clary," her mother said, pulling her into yet another hug. "You're growing up so fast. But you'll make a wonderful wife. I know you will."
"Thanks, mom," Clary returned. She was still trying to wrap her head around the idea that she would soon be Jace's wife. It seemed so formal, so committal, so... perfect. She would finally get to share her life with him, after all this time.
"You're not nervous, are you?" She asked. Jace and the others had gotten into their own conversation about wedding cake and decorative weapons for the service, so the two were practically talking alone.
"Isn't everybody a little nervous before their wedding?" Clary asked weakly.
"No... Well, yes, but I mean, after..." Her mother's fingers brushed the fabric of her shirt, directly over her collar bone, over her faded marriage rune. Clary shuddered and looked down at the floor.
"No. I'm happy now. This is Jace. Not... him."
Jocelyn nodded, seeing the subject was only making her daughter upset. "Okay, honey. If this is what you want, then I'm happy for you. I really am." She gave her one more long embrace and then returned to frying the eggs.

The meal was spectacular. Everything smelled and tasted heavenly, and soon the dishes were passed around and emptied. There was little conversation as everyone ate. Clary was surprisingly hungry, though her stomach felt uneasy after what her mother had said.
She knew her mother had meant well, being concerned enough to ask. But as soon as Clary started to think about Sebastian, she couldn't stop. It was like a chain reaction in her brain; one reference to something he had done, and it lead down a treacherous road. And there was never a time that she went down that road and didn't feel as if she might teeter off the edge.
Jace put his hand on Clary's, startling her out of her thoughts with a jump. She hadn't realized until then that she had been staring at the tablecloth blankly, chewing her food, for minutes. He looked at her with concern. "Are you okay?"
She faked a smile that probably didn't look even close to genuine. "Of course."
He studied her for a few more moments, then went back to eating with his right hand still over her left.
As soon as the meal was over and the table was cleared, Clary and Jace were sent off. After many more hugs, happy words, and a phone call to Simon, they gathered their luggage and prepared to portal. Magnus made the portal this time, and with a great deal of goodbyes, the couple stepped through it.
They fell, dropping their bags on impact, and rolled in opposite directions. Clary rose, seeing Jace pulling down the gray t-shirt that had ridden up to expose his muscled stomach. She straightened her own clothes, located the suitcases with the help of Jace, and turned toward the Herondale manor.
It looked the same as when they had left it a week ago; proud and beautiful, yet cozy and warm. She smiled a little bit, thinking about how much she loved her home here, with Jace.
At that moment, he strode up to stand next to her. She looked up at him as he looked down at her, his pale eyes glowing and golden hair mussed from their landing. She reached up to smooth it down, drawing a crooked smile from him. It was rather contagious.
When Clary brought her hand down, they were still smiling at each other. He looked at her more softly though; as if he was trying to be gentle with simply his eyes.
"Well," he said, sounding hoarse, "shall we start again?"
Clary wrapped her hand around his bent elbow, not losing eye contact in the process. "We shall."