Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three

"You have one more night in the palace then we will do the switch. I will need to inform the fairies as they will need a lot of power." Brokova told the two men. "Now, you have what you want. Will you please let myself, my wife and my granddaughter go now?"

Nikolai was shocked that they had managed to get something out of this that had been solved without bloodshed. He came in this room to kill him and they had managed to sort something out. He was going to miss his wife and his children and his only grandchild but the sacrifice was more than worth it.

Nikolai waved his hands around the room and silver glistened down the walls as the locking spell disappeared. "I do hope you keep to your promise." Nikolai told him.

"I will. You can have one night of comfort in the palace. Your family will be placed back into the Pepino faction and the rest will be distributed back into their original factions. If you try anything funny Nikolai, I will have them killed."

Nikolai nodded his head in understanding, even though he had the upper hand he was not going to push him. He got what he wanted.

"Come Anya, you need to go and get something to eat." Olga told her granddaughter.

She shook her head, "No, I am staying with Dimitri. I get one more night with him I am not going to waste a moment."

Dimitri brought her carefully to his chest. He was going to miss her so much but it was for the best. He was not good enough for her, despite what they both thought. Their families have such a checkered and dark past that they would never work without facing opposition from all sides. At least that was what he kept telling himself.

He didn't want to go back but he had to accept the deal, Brokova would not have made another deal and the only other solution was his death and he wouldn't do that to her. She meant to much to him.

"I love you, Anya." He told her as he rested his chin on top of her head.

She bent backwards to look up at him, her eyes glistened over with tears. "Not nearly as much as I love you." She replied. Standing on her toes she leaned towards him and captured his lips with her own.

The passion and intensity of the kiss nearly made Anya collapse to the floor. Her knees were jittering as she kept her soft, pink lips on his. She never wanted this moment to end. It was bittersweet and perfect. She would never love anyone again. As long as she lived, she would never stop loving him.

They broke apart, leaning against each other's foreheads. Their eyes met and neither blinked as they tried to keep the moment as it was. The only noise was the jagged breathing of the two of them as the caught their breath again.

"What am I going to do without you?" She whispered.

"You are going to go and do great and wonderful things. You are the most beautiful woman I have ever met. You are going to change the world one day and you are going to be loved and adored by everyone in the factions. There is no one as special as you Anya and don't you forget it." He told her. "I don't know how you do what you do Anya but you don't need no magic to save the world, you have your soul."

"Oh Dimitri!" She wept. He had surrounded her for the past two weeks. His scent, his words in that husky tone, his strong arms, his caring words. Everything about him was perfect and she had one more night with him. After that, she would never see him again.

"You amaze me everyday Anya. You are going to have your own family and you will be a wonderful mother. I only wish that you could be my wife to our children."