Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

   Dimitri stared into Anya's light, blue eyes. He wanted to discover what she was thinking but she was not giving anything away. She had begun to close herself away from him, he could tell. Just like when Darya had died, she was starting to go back into herself. She even admitted that apart from seeing him in the cells she never left her room.

   Her cheeks still hadn't filled out since she had got back and it did worry him. He wanted to declare his love for her and tell her everything that he has been bottling up since he first saw her in that cave, her hood falling down and her pale lips parting open in shock.

   The two of them had come so far in their individual journey's that the inevitable happened. They both had achieved their own goals somewhat - that they have had to stick to - and yet they have fallen in love. They never should have happened but they did and it only made everything so much more complicated.

   He leaned closer to her. He watched as her eyes fluttered shut and he bent his knees slightly to meet her height and pressed his lips to hers. It was a delicate, loving kiss that showed the amount of emotion he needed to. 

   Before Dimitri could even take his lips off of Anya's, someone had grabbed hold of his arm and wrenched him backwards.

  A furious Nikolai had hold of his son' arm. "You shouldn't have done that, son." He warned him. 

      Dimitri was about to shout at his father when he caught the King's glare in his eyesight. Pulling Anya just slightly behind him, he stepped closer to the King. 

   "I do not care what you do to me but you can never tell me who I love and Anya has captured my heart and as long as I had my way, she will never let it go." Dimitri told him.

   The King stood to his feet. For an older man, he was in exceptional shape. He also had an intimidating figure as he stood a good few feet above Dimitri due to the steps that led up to where the King and Queen usually sat during balls and family meetings. 

   "You touch my eldest granddaughter again, in any way and I will see that you are beheaded for your crimes." He told Dimitri. "No matter what happens now, you are going to be executed. Whether you kill me or not, it is too late. Even sending you back to Anceps is no longer good enough."

   Dimitri did not take his eyes from the King. Although his confidence suddenly wavered and he was truly frightened for the first time in a long time, he did not let the King know that. As soon as a weakness was found it would be spotted and Dimitri had come too far now.

   "I do not care what happens to me. If you had just let me explain myself before I would like to tell you what I care to offer now."

   "But you have no stakes on the table! You cannot offer me anything! I am the King of Daighte. I rule over everybody in this kingdom, including all of the termites like yourself. If you kill me, my son Demyan will see to it that you are punished appropriately. I would suggest torture would be the most fitting solution."

   "Grandfather!" Anya suddenly cried out, stepping away from Dimitri and stepping towards her grandparents. "Why are you like this."

   "Don't worry young girl, I will see to it that you are punished as well. You are dating the enemy, that is certainly not good."

   The Queen stood to her feet. "You can speak to anyone else how you like, Brokova but you will not speak to MY granddaughter in that tone. She will not be punished for falling in love. YOU caused this by pushing the poor girl away and so YOU can deal with it. If you even dare place a finger on Anya and I will see to it that you never sleep in our marital bed again!" She yelled at him. Her face was bright red but she didn't seem to notice the stunned silence in the room.