Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty - Two

   Dimitri gulped as he was taken down to the cells. He had been caged up for such a long time that having the freedom to go where he likes is something that he has enjoyed and so going back into a cage - one much smaller than the one he is used to but it is still not good. He knew he would not like it.

   He wanted to struggle and kill the guards - which he probably could do with his bare hands - but he trusted Anya and he knew her. She would never go back on anything that she has promised, or he hoped she would not. He would be in deep trouble if she let him rot in here.

   They went down a dozen or so steps and the smell hit Dimitri like a ton of bricks. He winced and pulled his face to the side, not quite believing that he was going to have to stick with this.

   There were five guards escorting him to his cell, which he thought was quite tame. They know that he had escaped from Anceps which was deemed impenetrable and had helped the Princess escape some guards, so the fact that there were only five which if he tried he could kill fair easily - was confusing.

   He hoped it was because the Prince trusted him even a little bit because he did help Anya but it appeared he would never know.

   "Which cell?" A guard muttered behind Dimitri causing him to turn around in curiosity. The guard frowned and pushed him forward with a hefty push. The other guards began to laugh at his expense.

   Gritting his teeth, Dimitri faced forward again. He had to remember that he was doing this for Anya. He could and would not fight back.

   "Put him in number five, next to the old man." A reply finally came.

      Dimitri frowned, next to the old man? He bent his head down as he made the final step on the stone stairs and counted in his head number five. The first cell had a woman in there, her clothes torn. She did not look well at all.

   In the second cell it was a man who was wearing what appeared to be servant clothes but looked a lot healthier than the rest of his cellmates. In the third there was a young boy who must have been no older than fifteen years old. He was sat in the corner, his back pressed up against the wall and his knees bunched together.

   As Dimitri looked for the fourth person, his eyes widened. Was that? He walked past the other three people at a fast pace and stopped in front of the cell. The guards were still stood at the bottom of the steps having a natter; none of them were looking at Dimitri as he bent down to where his father lay on the ground.

   "Father?" He whispered, making sure that no one heard him, not even the other prisoners.

      Nikolai opened his eyelids briefly. When he saw who was hovering above him they opened fully and he sat up. "Dimitri?" He muttered, his eyes also darting to the steps.

   "It's me." He replied. "What are you doing here?"

      "Are they dead? Are the whole family slaughtered?" He questioned, ignoring Dimitri's own question. His eyes darted to the ceiling like he could see their collective blood seeping through.

   Dimitri shook his head. "No." He replied. "I have a plan though." He told him quickly after his father's smile left his face. He did not want to disappoint his father. He could not actually believe he was here but he was not going to hurt Anya's family. He was going after the King, but no one else in the family they did not deserve it.

   His whole life his father had been there. Sometimes it was with his father's kind words of wisdom and other times it was when he got mad and started to push Dimitri further than he was able at the time. Nikolai was like a military leader more than a father most days and it had been instilled into Dimitri that he should never disappoint his father no matter what his request was but now he had been away from his influence his father's demanding ways and Dimitri's awe surrounding him had diminished.