So she hadn't tried to trick me. I really had managed to walk in a circle back to this location.

"I have no idea how I came to be here. I just looked up, and there it was." I searched her eyes. "I do find it odd that I haven't seen another living soul since you and I left the feast. Where is everyone?"

"They are around. These are my private gardens, though. My people know I don't wish to be disturbed when I am here, although you can occasionally stumble upon others with romantic inclinations hiding together in the seclusion of the trees around this lake."

"Is that so? They would dare trespass on royal ground?"

She shrugged. "What can I say? I have a thing for lovers. I welcome them here."

I tipped my head closer, lifting my hand to run my fingers through her hair. "And what about me?"

"You are always welcome here, Bran."

I enjoyed the feeling that shot through me, and I kissed her, needing to feel her lips against mine. She pressed her body to me, her mouth opening—surrendering—and I could still taste the sweetness of the grapes we'd eaten earlier on her tongue. She was delicious, and I wondered if I would ever be able to get enough of her.

Her hands tangled in my hair, keeping my head pressed to hers, and then she slid them tenderly along my face before dipping down my neck and over my shoulders. She pulled away when she grasped my arms, squeezing them.

"I love your brawny arms. They're so strong," she whispered—her breathing rapid—and I couldn't help my smile.

"I'm glad you think so."

She traced her fingers along my exposed skin there. "Being in them is much more enjoyable than I'd imagined it to be."

She turned, leaning back against my chest, and wrapped my arms tightly around her, tipping her head and resting it on my shoulder.

I kissed the side of her face and down her neck, my lips and tongue trailing lightly over the surface.

She let out a soft contented sigh, and I tried to brush away my feelings of guilt as I swept her off her feet and carried her over to the bench.

"When are you going to show me the rest of the city, or introduce me to others in your family?" I held Eirian in my arms, the two of us reclining together on the padded seat.

Nighttime had fallen and there was a soft breeze that blew the fragrance of the blossoms through the air, caressing our skin as it floated on its way. There was the sound of crickets and the occasional croak of a nearby frog, accompanied by the gentle lull of the water lapping the shoreline. The tumbling waterfalls echoed in the distance, giving a feeling of relaxed peacefulness. The most enjoyable sound I heard, though, was Eirian's breathing as her fingers lazily ran up and down my arm.

I would never lay like this with Ceridwen. I cringed as the thought possessed my mind. Thinking about her was not going to make things any better for anyone. I needed to push past this—concentrate on Eirian and try to move on.

"I can show you whenever you're ready." She glanced up and smiled. "I'm sorry if I've been selfish. I keep forgetting all of this is new to you. I've waited for you for so long, I just want to keep you all wrapped up to myself."

"I wasn't actually complaining," I replied before brushing my lips over her fair shoulder. "If you'd rather stay cocooned away in this place, I'm all for that too."

She shook her head. "No. You should see Faery at night. It's beautiful."

She left my arms, standing to straighten her dress and I got up to help, lightly kissing the exposed skin at her neck.