The meal ended and the table was removed. A throne was brought out and placed on the center of the steps for the Mother, as a band came out and set themselves up to the right side of her on the rest of the stairs.

The dancing began once Mother was seated. The physical fire I felt in Emilee's dreams burned with a new and increased intensity as I took her in my arms and began the waltz. I couldn't take my eyes off her; she was so beautiful, out shining any other woman there. It was all I could do not to rip the recently-dawned dance masks from our faces and ravage her right there.

"I love you," I whispered into her ear, pulling her unceremoniously closer to me.

"I love you, too," she sighed in utter contentment, holding onto me tightly. She rested her head on my chest and closed her eyes. We nearly missed the end of the music, but managed to stop our dance in time to applaud with the crowd. The Mother's eye's momentarily made contact with mine—a chill travelled up my spine and my breath caught in my throat. But her smile revealed nothing and I exhaled in relief.

As the next song began, a few couples left the courtyard and entered into their homes through the doors in the brick walls.

"Where are they going?" Emilee asked.

"To perform whatever rituals they brought their mortals here for. In this case, it's probably . . . uh . . . romantic encounters." I coughed out the last part, embarrassed.

"But aren't they under a spell? Wouldn't that be like forcing them to do it?" Horror was growing on her face as she spoke.

"No! I'm sorry I didn't explain that very well. They uh, they're aware enough to consent to something like that. No Fae would ever force themselves on someone in that manner."

"Oh." It was all she said, a blush creeping over both of our cheeks as we giggled nervously.

"Raith," a voice said into my mind, causing me to jump. "Would you kindly bring your guest and come with me to my home?" I looked around for the source of the voice and caught the Mother's eyes. She nodded and rose from her chair, leaving the party.

I started to swear and then thought better of it.

"What is it?" Emilee questioned.

"Mother just asked us to come meet with her." Emilee's eyes widened in surprise, but she nodded her approval. Hardly anyone noticed as we left the dance and walked up the steps to the Mother's home. Either they weren't paying attention, or they didn't want to interrupt their own all night dance party. Perhaps they knew, like I did, that we were in some sort of trouble.

"What do you think she wants?" Emilee asked, as we traveled through the tall trees. I waved away some twinkling lights before I answered.

"I'm not sure. I'm a little nervous though." I wasn't exactly lying. I could guess that the Mother had probably noticed our interactions with each other. I couldn't help adoring Emilee, and no doubt everyone noticed, regardless of my intentions to hide it. I gave her a quick smile and she held my hand tighter, trying to reassure me. My smile became weak and I tightened my grasp also.

When we reached the Mother's home, she was standing in the doorway, caressing a twinkling orb. I bowed as we came to a stop in front of her, Emilee following my lead and curtsying.

"Mother," I said in greeting.

"What is your friend's name?" she asked, ignoring my greeting.

"Emilee," I said shakily as my grip tightened on my love's hand.

"Emilee, my child," Mother began, turning her stare to my companion. "Would I be right in assuming that you are under no type of influence tonight?"