Whether it was my own imaginings or a small parting of the veil, her voice sounded as though it floated across the air, carried by a gentle breeze. Tell me of these men.

I smiled and picked up one of the flowers. I twirled it between my fingers as I responded to her invitation. "Both of them are so unlike, and they stir up different feelings within me. I met Hadrian down at my favorite spot by the river, and the moment I saw him, I was captivated. Even though he's Fae, and any love we feel is forbidden, I can't help it. Each second we're apart eats away at me. He fills my thoughts and dreams, and when he whispers there can be no future for us . . . I feel like I may die. Enchantment or not, I need him and find myself imagining ways for us to be together always. It would be simple, so very simple. But then came William."

I let out a sigh as I was flooded by memory after memory of him. He, who had at first started as a friend and childhood confidante, was now much more. My feelings were more than a crush, I knew William stirred something within me, and my heart had easily fallen for him. He was everything a girl could ever want, and had it not been for Hadrian, my decision would be easy. I would throw myself at him, hold on tight, and follow him for the rest of my life. Loving William and being his wife would fill me with such joy. As I let out a wistful sigh, an image came unbidden to my mind—his eyes stared into mine, his countenance filled with emotion.

As I quickly spoke of the endless possibilities life had to offer with him, it made the choice easier. Hadrian could give me brief moments, but William would give me a lifetime. I chided myself for how blind I was and how easily I'd allowed fantasy to overrule my common sense. But one thought of Hadrian's smile and the wonder I experienced as I watched him reveal his magic, and I was thrown back into the endless cycle of uncertainty.

"What would you choose? The future you'd always dreamed of? Or your childhood fantasies brought to life?" I whispered.

I listened for her answer on the breeze, but heard nothing. I stared at the sky, hoping some kind of sign would appear, but the clouds still kept their secrets. I was all alone.

"Oh, Mama," I cried, wiping away the steady flow of tears, as a certainty hit me. The decision was solely mine, and no amount of questions would change what I knew was true. My heart held the answers. I just needed the courage to uncover and follow it.

The cropping of trees drew my attention as I looked about. Standing, I brushed the grass from my gown and walked toward it, searching. I knew Hadrian could appear anywhere—was he there now, watching? Waiting?

Suddenly I needed to see him, and I ran the remaining distance. Everything made sense when he was near me, and I called his name as I weaved through the trunks.

"Hadrian, where are you? Please, if you're here, show yourself?"

Stopping, I turned, scanning the area for the first glimpse of him. Nothing.

"Please!" I cried out louder. "I'm so confused!"

I darted to different trees, peering around them, expecting to see his beautiful face staring back at me. I longed to find myself trapped in his strong embrace as he chuckled, enjoying our small game of hide and seek. No matter how hard I searched, he wasn't here.

Gathering up the fabric of my dress, I ran as though the gates of Hell had opened, releasing beasts determined to devour me if they caught me. I raced away from my mother, thoughtlessly, and allowed my feet to determine the destination.

All the while, I studied each tree, every entrance to Farnsworth Forest for him. Silently I prayed that when I got to wherever I was heading, my answer would be awaiting me. The inner turmoil was becoming too much, and my breaking point quickly approached. I contemplated the idea of simply running until I was far away from both of them—giving up my chance to find happiness with either—but I dismissed the thought. I knew I was too far gone. In that moment, all I saw was heartache in my future.

I found myself on a path I recognized. I passed the landmarks daily on my way to the river. My heart lightened and then dropped as I continued on past the turnoff that would lead me to Hadrian. My feet refused to stop until they finally brought me to my journey's end.

I blinked as I surveyed my surroundings. This was not at all what I'd expected. Flittering sensations started in my stomach and rapidly spread to my chest as the butterflies began their dance.

I stood outside the blacksmith forge, the heat from inside radiated out, caressing my skin. I could hear the steady pounding of the hammer on metal, and I crossed the remaining distance without thinking. Entering the building, my gaze found William's surprised one.

I couldn't turn away as I watched him put down his project and wipe his hands on the side of his trousers. Not knowing how to explain my sudden appearance, I turned to flee, but the sound of my name stopped me. Just one word and I was lost again.