"What took you so long?"

"Board meeting. We were discussing a lot of things. Dad was there, too."

"Really?" She stretched. "Did you tell him you were going out?"

"Mmm-hmm." He smiled at me and moved my hair to the side. "What do you want to eat for lunch? Persian? Thai? Chinese food? What do you have in mind?"

"Fishballs?"

"Blythe, I'm not letting you eat that for lunch. You need something healthy, something heavy. I want real food, okay?"

"Natatakot ka lang na masawsawan mo uli ng fishball 'yung banlawan ng sandok, e."

Napahalakhak ako ng malakas. "And that, too."

"Sir, nasawsawan mo ng fishball ang lagayan ng sandok?" Sabay kaming napalingon sa pinanggalingan ng boses at nakita ko ang assistant niyang si Terry sa bungad ng pinto na nagpipigil ng ngiti. "Nakakaloka naman, Sir. Ano'ng lasa no'n?"

"Terry, it tasted like trash!"

Sabay silang natawa. Sa huli ay nagpagdesisyunan ni Blythe na mag-Chinese cuisine na lang kami today because she was craving for some good old xiao long bao. Since I had paperworks to come back to and she has another meeting to attend, we had to eat quickly. Nang mag-park ako sa tapat ng office niya ay binigyan niya ako ng sad face.

"We really have to work, don't we?"

"We do. I'll see you at home."

"Home..." she murmured. She looked at me funny before she gave me a smack.

"Work well, champ."

I guess that was all the motivation I needed. I drove back to the office and found out that my father already went home. I returned to my office, took the folders my secretary stacked on top of my desk, and started reviewing the contracts and proposals. Olive went inside to remind me of her leave tomorrow and I just nodded absently.

The day ended pretty fast. When the phone vibrated inside my pocket, I already expected Blythe's name to appear on the screen.

Race you home?

What's in it for me? I said.

Winner gets to decide breakfast meals for a week.

I rolled my eyes. And have you choose fishballs for breakfast every morning? No deal.

Bummer.

I took my coat, slung it across my shoulder, and hurriedly went to my personal elevator. I saw my friend Maxwell sitting on a chair in a lobby as if he was waiting for someone. He stood up as soon as I stepped out.

"Man! I was waiting for you. I called and Olive said you already boarded the elevator."

"What is it, Max?"

"Let's go out drinking tonight. Clint and Brent will be there. I heard Brent's ex-girlfriend is back in town and the guy's devastated to know she's married." Napangiwi ako. Maxwell, Clint and Brent are my closest friends. We met in highschool, then Clint moved to Hungary to continue his studies, then flew back to Manila to put up his business a few years ago. Maxwell works for the company, however, he's handling a different branch.

"Brent hasn't moved on yet?"

"Seems to me like he hasn't. You going?"

"I can't, man. I have an important event to attend to."

"Oh, alright. Sabihan mo na lang kami kung makakasunod ka."

"I will. Gotta roll." He bobbed his head up and down.

I jogged to the parking lot and got inside my car. I put my Honne playlist on as I calmly drove home. I know Blythe is already there, probably watching Netflix, or binge-watching Harry Potter. The thought of her waiting for me is more than enough to excite me.

Nagmamadali akong magpark at umakyat sa building. Since we have spare keys of each other's unit, I no longer knocked. I opened the door and there she is...

There she is in a loose white t-shirt, skimpy velvet shorts, and a messy bun.

There she is munching on potato chips, focused on the movie she's watching.

There she is looking effortlessly beautiful.

And here I am, amazed that I get to enjoy this view.

I walked over and she turned, cracked a smile, and winked at me playfully. I sat on the couch and wrapped my arms around her.

It felt right.

It felt right to be this close to her.

It felt right because I am in love with her.