:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

“Perfect! Want to go see Fast Five?”

“She’s already seen it,” Vincent responded for me.

I frowned at him for a moment before turning back to Kai. “Yeah, sorry.”

“That’s fine!” he chirped. “We can see something else.”

“She’s not going out tonight.”

Kai raised an eyebrow while I whipped my head toward Vincent. “What?”

He gave me a flat look. “You need to stay home.”

“No I don’t?”

“Yes you do.”

I placed my hands on my hips. Now this whole protection thing was taking it too far. It’d been almost week and nothing had happened! What was wrong with going out to a movie with him? “I want to go out, Vincent.”

“No.”

“Why can’t she go out with her friends, guard dog?” Kai demanded.

“Because I said so,” he said in a low, dangerous voice.

Suddenly a playful smile crossed Kai’s face. “Ooh, I know. You don’t want her to go out with me because you’re jealous!”

“I’m not jealous,” Vincent denied, rolling his eyes.

“Yes you are.”

“Do you want to die?”

“Vincent,” I warned, giving him a shut-up look.

He crossed his arms. “Let’s go home.”

“Let’s?” Kai repeated. Realization crossed his face. “Wait, you two live together?”

“Where have you been, Kai?” I asked, feeling my lips turn up into a smile. He really was slow. “The whole school knows now.”

“Really? That’s why you two are so close! I thought he just had some creepy crush on you.”

I stifled a giggle with my hand. It was rare to see someone insult Vincent so casually. Kai really had no sense of fear. “Yeah, he got into trouble in California so he’s leaving with my family now.”

“How’s Jake taking it?”

“Er…”

Kai laughed. “Not so well then?”

“Vincent and Jake get along about as well as you and Vincent.”

Vincent gave me a hard look. Impatience was written all over his face. “Are you done chatting now?”

Once again I found myself frowning at him. “No, I’m not. If you’re in such a rush, go home by yourself.”

“I can’t,” he said in a duh voice.

“And why not?” Kai questioned, crossing his arms. “I can take Emily home. I’m taking Alli home anyway. They live close.”

Vincent shook his head. “It’s none of your business.”

I chewed up my lip. Vincent’s responsibility was really starting to irritate me now. It wasn’t that I didn’t understand why he had to do it. Even I knew Solomon would have his ass if he didn’t keep an eye on me. But if I wasn’t even allowed out, it wasn’t going to work. There’d been no vampire attacks so far. What was one night?

“Look, if you really have to, you can come out with us,” Kai said reluctantly. “That way you aren’t separated from your precious crush.”

Vincent gave him an unamused look. “I’m not interested.”