Chapter 2 - Edited

Start from the beginning

"To be honest, it was my son who suggested to make Magna very busy on other things and as far from him as possible. You don't have to worry about a thing, she is not holding any bad feelings toward you."

"I am not worried, but I do thank you for telling me. Anything in particular you wish me to do for you as you are gone today Miss Clark?"

"As a matter of fact, there is some paperwork I have been working on, and even Magna forgot about it. But first, have you read the copy of the legal contract I wanted you to sign today?"

Caliope blinked and swallowed hard, she had forgotten to read it, but she did not know how it would make her look. At her sudden hesitation to reply, Miss Clark quickly added.

"I am sure you did not have enough time, so it is ok, you can take this morning to finish reading it, and at noon, one of my personal lawyers will come to collect your signature, is that ok with you?"

"Yes Miss Clark, thank you very much, I appreciate all your patience and support towards me."

"I am happy you are here Caliope, and now it is time for me to run. Have a beautiful day dear."

As soon as she finished her sentence, Miss Clark returned to the living room, picked up her bag, and lead herself to the front elevator.

"And Caliope, when you finish with those legal papers, the other paperwork is on my study, make yourself at home."

And the elevator doors closed on her last words, leaving Caliope completely alone at the room. She ran to her bag and took out the copy of the contract she was going to sign later, took a seat and started to read each line carefully. It was nothing out of the ordinary, but Miss Clark made it sound important. A few articles were not what she would have expected, but she was committed to make her job career start there, and reading about long night hours or trips outside of the country made her even more interested in her new job.

She finished reading the contract about 30 minutes before noon and decided to wait for the lawyer before starting with Miss Clark's paperwork, when she felt something strange. The apartment was on the 15th floor, but it seemed quieter than usual. The hair behind her neck started to rise and she felt a little agitated without a reason. As if something was going to happen, she stood up and carefully started to look around the room. Their eyes met and she felt her heart skip a beat. He was tall, very tall; he might as well be built to work as a bodyguard, strong, and with a powerful presence. He was easily double her size. "Caliope... I presume" she heard the words, but she could have sworn his lips did not move. Her eyes were locked on his, so she just might have missed it.

"Hello, and you are?"

"I am Elaine's son, and you are Caliope, right?"

"Yes... yes I am Caliope, nice to meet you Amra."

He stared at her and she felt the goosebumps rise on her arms and legs, it was as if his gaze drew some kind of magnetism that made her feel unbalanced. The phone rang: and it all stopped as soon as she looked for the phone, feeling the air was normal again, picking up the phone she turned towards Amra but he wasn't there anymore, nor anywhere else. She took a few seconds to finally answer the phone.

"Hello, this is the Clark's residence."

The other side was the front desk at the entrance of the building, they were announcing the arrival of Miss Clark's lawyer and he was coming up to meet her now. She ended the call with a frown and looked at the wall clock, it was one pass noon.

How could that be? A few moments ago she could have sworn that there was still 30 minutes left to noon. The elevator doors made a little sound and then opened, a suited grey-haired man walked in with a polite smile.