16 - Match Monitor

Two weeks after Nate’s first date, I started to notice a change in his attitude. My dates had been put on hold and I didn’t complain. Nate, on the other hand, met Lily almost every night. There were times when one would be busy or one couldn’t make it but overall, they saw a lot of each other.

He seemed very distracted lately especially when I was around. He didn’t stay bitter toward me but he definitely didn’t act the same.

“How’s Lily?” I asked one day while lounging around at his place.

“She is doing great. We’re both together you know?” Nate shouted from his bedroom. I rolled my eyes. Of course I knew. Who didn’t know? “I think tonight might be the night.”

“What?”

Nate came out of his bedroom wearing pajamas and gave me a ‘duh’ expression. “The night.”

My eyes widened with recognition. “The night you say ‘I love you’?”

“No,” Nate assured. “A replay of the night I got kicked out except…I won’t get kicked out.”

I calmed down slightly. “It’s only been two weeks. You think she’s going to give it up…again?”

Nate nodded proudly. “We may have only been dating for a few weeks but we’ve known each other for a long time.”

“That was a long time ago,” I pointed out.

“But we’ve barely changed,” Nate argued.

I sighed not having anything else against it. Who was I to discourage this?

“She’s even letting her hair go back to its natural red because she knows how much I loved it.”

“Good,” I muttered not really in the mood to care.

Nate smiled at me. “When’s your next date?”

I shrugged. “Don’t know and don’t care.”

Nate walked away without a reply and returned to his bedroom. “It’s our two week anniversary and I have to look good even. I plan for the clothes to come off anyway.”

I suddenly felt tired. He did not just become one of those guys.

“Two weeks isn’t much of an accomplishment for someone who’s immortal,” I yelled to him.

Nate appeared in the living room again still with pajama pants but a regular T-shirt on. “Are you going to be here when I get back? I don’t know if I’m going to her place or if she’ll come to mine but I’m sure you don’t want to be here should the date lead us back here.”

“I’ll go to Brooke’s when you leave,” I replied.

Nate nodded leaving me again to finish changing. Once he was done, he came out to the living room and looked at me expectantly.

“Are you going to leave?”

I didn’t need to be told twice. I stood up, looked at Nate, and then left without a word of goodbye. I didn’t know if Lily was good for Nate or not but I didn’t want to waste my time thinking about it.

I walked into Brooke’s apartment on one of the rare days that she was home. She had been listening to me vent about Nate and his girlfriend for a while now.

“How are the lovebirds?” She asked leisurely taking the lollipop she had out of her mouth.

I shrugged. “They are probably going to do it tonight.”

Brooke’s eyes widened. “Whoa! Dude moves fast.”

“Yeah,” I agreed.

“How do you know?” I took a seat next to Brooke on the couch.