27 - Wrong Name Game

I don’t think the cab could have driven any slower. I was sitting in the backseat with my thoughts running a million miles a minute trying to figure out where I had gone wrong.

Once the cab was on Nate’s street, I threw the money at him and jumped out of the car running as fast as I could to the building. In the lobby I pasted Sean coming out of an elevator with an overnight bag slung around his shoulder.

“What’s going on?” I tried to ask him.

Sean shrugged. “I really have no idea. He wouldn’t tell me and as soon as I said your name on the phone he yanked it from my hands demanding to speak with you and no one else.”

I sighed as I began my walk over to the elevator. “Well, thanks.”

“Wait-” Sean said stopping me in my tracks. I turned around to face him and he looked at me apologetically. “Watch out. He’s pissed.”

I rolled my eyes. “Great.”

I waved to Sean as the elevator doors closed on me and stood tapping my foot as I got closer to Nate’s floor. Outside of his door, I took a deep breath before I knocked.

It didn’t take long for the door to open and expose Nate with a cold glare. I gulped involuntarily as Nate stepped aside allowing me to enter his home. Once I had stepped inside, he closed the door which actually frightened me a little. If he did anything to me there would no witnesses. After a moment of silence, I shrugged off my coat and waited for Nate to speak.

Nate wasn’t looking at me though. He was leaning on his kitchen counter staring at his hands and it seemed like he was thinking hard.

Finally he asked, “What did I do wrong?”

“Nothing-” I assured but Nate cut me off.

“Am I really that bad of a guy? Am I just destined to never be happy in my love life? Why is everything so hard for me?” His anger rose in each word he spoke.

I shook my head unsure of what he wanted to hear from me. I decided to change the subject, “What happened?”

Nate ran his hands over his face and through his hair before he walked around me and over to his couch. “I don’t know,” he admitted after a moment. “One minute we were happily eating then the next we were fighting.”

“Over?” I prompted.

“You,” he replied keeping his blue eyes downcast. My legs seemed to suddenly go numb and I had to hold on to the back of the loveseat for support.

“What?” I managed to breathe out. I was not going to be the cause of the end of this relationship.

Nate sighed focusing on his hands again. “Lily said that you have been hanging around us for a while. Then she asked if I knew when you would be leaving us alone for good. I’m not sure what happened but I lashed out at her claiming that you could stay for as long as you wanted. Then she went into this rant about how I care about you more than her and I tried to prove her wrong but it was useless. She didn’t want to hear anything that I had to say! She stood up and told me that she couldn’t deal with my anger anymore and that we should break up. I don’t know what to do.”

By the time that he was finished with his little explanation, I had worked my way to sitting on the loveseat and tried to take in his story. They broke up because of me? As if that wasn’t a way to make me feel guilty. “Did you go after her?”

“No,” Nate denied shaking his head. “I was too shocked to do anything.”

I nodded but I didn’t know where to go from here. My relationships never failed. I was really at a loss.