25 - Valentines Ball Part 2

I crouched down to pick up my plate and the cheese that had gone all over the floor. When I stood upright, I searched for Nate and Lily again but they were lost in the crowd.

I threw away my plate and walked away from my spot near the table. I bet that Nate was on his way over to me but I had lost him in the sea of red, white, and pink. I didn’t even get to make it all the way back to the bar to meet Cilix when I was stopped by someone.

“Peyton! How nice to see you again!” I turned around only to see Eurus. I rolled my eyes not really in the mood to listen to him.

“Isn’t it?” I replied sarcastically.

“You look so beautiful tonight. That color is very wonderful on you,” Eurus complimented.

I gave a fake smile. “I hate this color.”

“Then it is a horrible color,” Eurus agreed quickly. “So…how have your other dates been going?”

“Fine,” I answered looking for an excuse to get away.

“Am I still in the running?”

I was just about to open my mouth and reply when I heard my name being called from behind me. I craned my neck around just as Alex wove his way through the crowd.

“How have you been?” He casually stuck his hands in his pockets. I smiled naturally upon seeing him

“Who’s this?” Eurus asked jealously. Alex looked over at him as if he just noticed that I was talking to someone else and smiled politely.

“He’s one of my dates,” I answered feeling a headache coming on.

“I don’t really like the look of him,” Eurus said.

Alex scoffed. “I’m not in front of you or anything so say whatever you want.”

“I will,” Eurus assured getting in his face. I sighed rubbing my forehead. How could this night get any worse?

“Peyton!”

With that one word, I regretted thinking the sentence before.

Nate appeared next to me Lily-less for the time being and was smiling brightly.

“What do you want?” I asked a little too harshly.

Nate looked offended and I immediately felt bad for my attitude.

“Is he another one?” Eurus asked outraged.

“No,” I assured annoyed with him. I turned my attention back to Nate. “Why are you here?”

“Your grandfather invited Lily and I,” he explained. Oh great, so now he was all buddy-buddy with Eros.

“Is something wrong Peyton?” Alex asked in a caring way coming around to look into my face.

Nate glanced at the other two guys. “You are pretty popular.”

I pushed Alex away from me and shook my head. “I wish I wasn’t.”

“Peyton?”

A fourth voice. I looked around Alex to see a confused Cilix gazing back at me. “I thought you were just getting something to eat.”

“I was,” I muttered. “Then things got…crazy.”

“Well would you care to give me that dance?”  

I nodded quickly stepping around the small circle the guys were making around me. I took the hand that Cilix had held out for me and let him lead me through the crowd. Before they disappeared from my few I looked back at the boys. Eurus was glaring, Alex was staring, and Nate had a confused expression.